It’s done! She waited through 2 birthdays, 1 anniversary, 1 Christmas, and 1 Valentine’s Day… but it’s finally done, and she seems to feel that it was worth the wait. /phew! For all the details of each step of the project, head on over to my woodworking blog . Otherwise, click over to my LJ Project page and check it out.
Sorry for the delay. It’s been a busy week. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… here’s the next set of progress images… I finish assembling the drawers and fitting them to their bays. Not piston-fit, but as close as I’ve ever come. I can’t stress how important it is to take your time at this step. Take super light passes off the sides of the drawers and keep retesting the fit to the point of insanity. As so...
And we’re back! Our specials today are: Carbide-tipped bandsaw blades with a side of Stickley’s Aurora finish. For appetizers we have some bookmatched door panels and invisible hinges. Our entree this evening is a large stack of hand-cut dovetails. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… more photos! I bought a Lennox Trimaster Carbide-tipped Bandsaw BladeNot pictured, but it’s super amazing! Makes my bandsaw cut like a t...
Welcome back to one woodworker’s flirtation with insanity by way of making a Jewelry Armoire for my wife. I’m happy to say that I and all of my new personalities are really glad to be done with this project. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… on with the show! I didn’t want to use a table saw to cut these grooves, so I had to make a sticking board I got a little overzealous with the plow plane, slipped, and cut m...
I completed the project last night at 9:30pm but was too tired to take decent photos. In the meantime I’ll entertain you with a few highlights from the past 8 months. If you want the full details, feel free to head on over to my woodworking blog Quadrilinear legs and a dovetailed top frame: Beaded & Shiplapped backer boards: My ridiculously detailed Gantt Chart project timeline Flattening the top Carefully marking the mortise locations on e...
Hi everybody, I’ve been attempting to record as much of the process of designing and building a Jewelry Armoire / Lingerie Chest of drawers as I can manage. The effort to document the work on my personal site is already substantial, so I wasn’t able to duplicate the blog posts over here. I started this project on 11/1/2013 and am 2 days from completing it. I’ve lived with this project in my brain for so long now that I have mixed feelings about being done with it. It&...
I sprayed the chair with Rodda #19 stain, which I thin with a splash of mineral spirits.-----After the chair had dried for 24-48 hours I sprayed Rudd lacquer (Satin sheen), which I strain and thin 20% with lacquer thinner. After the first coat I sanded with 320 grit soft sponges, and cleaned the dust with cheese cloth (not tack cloth) and compressed air. -----After the second coat I wet sanded with 1500 grit soft sponges. The whole chair only took 15-20 minutes to wet sand. -----The Rudd ...
Here I am building a small ottoman to compliment the Morris Chair. -----The ottoman legs were laminated with thin veneers. As with the chair, I used 1/4” thick veneer strips that are later planed down to 3/32” thickness. -----The ottoman legs are planed to their final size of 1-3/4” square, and mortised to receive 1/2” thick tenons. -----I do an initial assembly to see how the joints fit. Everything is scaled down on the ottoman, compared to the Morris chair. Th...
I took a leather sewing class to learn how to make the Morris chair cushions. -----The seat cushion and the ottoman cushion require web frames. Here I am milling the half-lap components for the web frames. -----Web frame assemblies are glued together. The seat frame should be sized 1/4” smaller in all directions than the opening in your chair, to allow room for the leather and two layers of batting.-----Corner blocks are added to the large seat cushion for additional strength. -----I...
With the two side assemblies glued together, I can now check the fit of the ladder back. -----Once you get the armrests fit, everything else seems to come pretty easy on this project. -----Here is a look at the beveled through tenons in the armrest.-----A 1/4” dowel secures the mortise and tenon joint. This is a fairly deep hole, and is best drilled with a brad point bit. Test the fit of your dowel stock in a scrap board, as a snug fit is key here. Hopefully you have glued the armr...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1392 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1416 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 169 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries