After I posted the Zebrawood tote and knob set project on LumberJocks, bigike (of LJs) sent me a message asking me if I’d like to be the first to turn some Acrylic plane knobs. He said he had a source for acrylic stock. I told him sure – not wanting to pass up a chance to expand my lathe skills and at the same time turn some unique plane knobs for Ike and myself. He said he’d mail me some, and I sent him my address. Sure enough, a few weeks later, I received a big box of...
What happens when an international company decides to return the premium hand tool market and a small-town craftsman supports the move? Well, not much. How about some background? On the 5th of February I walked in to my area’s family-owned and operated (since 1915!) hardware store and asked if they carried Stanley products. The answer was, “of course!” and I had figured as much because the yellow rectangle was everywhere on the shelves. “I’m interested in a ne...
Time for final assembly. My fiance’ will turn a knob and install it as a celebration when the project is complete. First, I need to mount the free lower drawer supports over a spacer. I made the drawer supports so I could control the levelness of the drawer and the reveal once all the parts were together. First I cut the spacer oversized & will trim it later: Tack it in place with glue & brads (a consequence of waiting to the end for a final fit means I have to resort to ...
It’s rare when you can take a vintage tool home for a good price it’s incredible when you can a take vintage tool home and it requires no tune up. I finally found a plow plane. I haven’t even sharpened the blades yet and it makes good shavings. A sharpening session and a good coat of oil is all this guy needs. Of course I need to make a box for the blades…and maybe another shelf. There’s always more work and that makes me smile.
In my first blog of this series I talked about removing the rust using Evapo-Rust. The following picture shows my Stanley #4 after it was soaked over night in Evapo-Rust and washed and scrubbed clean. I have polished and sanded the sides a number of different ways. I have done all by hand with folded up sand paper and sanding blocks, I have used my dremmel tool with different attachments and I have used my drill press with wire brush. I find all of these to be way to time consuming. I fin...
Its been a little bit since I have added to this series but I have been very busy as of late. This blog will focus on re-painting the plane body and frog. This is one thing that I usually skip over when restoring planes. Most of the planes I have restored still had pretty decent japanning and showed only minor chipping and wear. That is fine with me, especially if I am going to be using them. However I have restored planes where the japanning was so damaged that I felt they needed a new pa...
As part of my $175 bench project I did a big glue-up of Douglas Fir boards. Over twenty boards went into the top and due to an oversight on my behalf I ended up bowing the top. In order to level it all out, I needed to take off a fair amount of material. I started to do just that with my number 5 jack plane but I quickly realized how daunting the task was. I knew I needed a better tool to tackle this beast of a problem.I started looking around for a number 40 scrub plane. After going thr...
Well I already posted a Midsize Blog post on my Blog and I thought I’d post the link here for everyone to check out. I’m starting to get into Hand Tools, at least some that I can properly use or try to use anyway. Being Disabled has SOME Disadvantaged but not alot lol. And as it goes right now, I got 4 Handplanes and I’ve not really used them cause I don’t have a Bench in my Workshop just yet, other things are on my To Do List at the moment before I can Build a ...
Three LJ’s five saws the LJ saw test meeting in Copenhagen! Written by: MaFe After a long night of red wine, good food, espresso coffee, cakes, French nougat and some US Coca Cola, we were finally ready for the saw test, that was actually the excuse for our LJ meeting! The contestants are: First saw (low price hobby saw, MaFe): Zona fine kerf razor saw 32 tooth per inch, pull stroke. Second saw (MaFe’s new baby): Veritas dovetail saw 20 rip-cut teeth per inch, 0.003”...
Ok, last new/used toy was dropped off to my porch today until after the holidays. This one has already become my favorite of the lot, this is the Stanley Bailey No. 5 Type 11 - I bought this one for 10 bucks from ebay. The patina was heavy but the rust was fairly minimal on the body. The sole was smooth and without any pitting. I disassembled the plane and gave the parts an evapo-rust bath. While disassembled, I took photos of the distinguishing marks that ID it as a true Type 1...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 369 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 160 entries
- stefang - 148 entries