After reading Andy’s blogs on cleaning up braces I dug these two out out of the back shed. They were in the family for years. The chrome has been rusted off the millers falls for years but I figured what better to start on. The stanley SPOFFORD brace wasn’t as bad but needed a bit more tighting up of the top knob which was a bit tricky. The end results aren’t the prettiest but work great. On I side note I really didn’t expect to like the spofford brance much but as...
I finally took my great grandfathers #4 Dunlap bench plane out back and cleaned it up this afternoon. The original forum post is here First I made sure that I had everything ready and all the protective stuff I would need to safely work with phosphoric acid. I soaked the small parts in a tupper ware and scrubbed stuff in my oil change catch pan. Gotta love a multi-tasker! And of course some tunes on the iPhone. The Krud Kutter Rust Buster really worked quickly, the rust was pretty easy...
I came across an antique shop that had some old tools while on vacation. After strolling through I picked up a few planes and a saw vise (more to come on them later). Once I got home I decided I should start on the Stanley #31 first. I did some research to see exactly how old this plane was but couldn’t narrow it down as well as I would have liked to. I found that these planes were made between 1870-1943 and that my particular plane was made before 1915 because the frog was screwe...
It is interesting how our focus can sometimes hide things from plain site (or is it plane site?). Following up the last post in this blog series I finally found a replacement #5 for my broken one. I found it in a bunch of tools and was so focused on the #5 that I didn’t really pay much attention to the rest of the things, but took it as a whole figuring I can always use an extra tool or 2, or sell some to recoup the expense. One of those things I was planning on restoring and rese...
I would guess like most I start with the simple fixes first and would consider all the planes I use regularly to be in good working order but as the numbers grow it gets harder to keep them all sharpened and well tuned. So previous to this I went through what I had and decided which plans I need and use and which ones need new homes. Now with the numbers down I decided to flatten the soles. A process I’ve read about but never found the time, plus if you’re looking at large numbers plan on ...
This was a rough one. Looking at it on the outside it looked pretty decent but once I took a peak on the inside I realized I was in for a challenge. There were times I didn’t think this one was going to see life again but that only made me work a little harder at saving it… The metal parts of this plane were badly rusted. Possibly the worst I have seen personally. However it had a couple good things going for it. One good this was it was complete. All the parts and pieces were ...
I’ll be documenting my restoration on my blog also. I got these on my last outing. I had just about given up hope when I saw one more yard sale sign on my way home. I managed to negotiate them down to $60. Its a Stanley #7C and #5C. The tote is broken on the 5, and the lip on the 7 also looks broken off. I’ll do a blog on restoring these once I can get some of my other projects squared away. I don’t think these are the kind that should be kept in its original rusty con...
Here are some pics of my new Stanley/Bailey No. 5-1/2 Corrugated Type 11 Jack Plane. It has not got here yet but I still can’t wait to show it off. I decided to get this exact model after reading The Anarchist’s Tool Chest by Christopher Schwarz. You can check out The Anarchist's Jack Plane - here . Mine doesn’t have any fancy engraving. just a nice light patina, but I am tempted to give it some bling (maybe golden enamel). The Type 11 models were made between 1910 &...
During the restoration of RUSTY in Parts 1 to 4, I showed how to fix a couple of common problems. The first was scoring on the outside of the jaws caused by a rough finish on the inside of the chuck. In Part 1, I filed the jaws smooth again. In Part 2, I showed how to smooth the inside diameter of the chuck. In Part 3, I showed how to fix excess play in the sweep handle. However there are a number of other problems that you might encounter on a secondhand brace. In this e...
Here is a Stanley Block Plane I just finished restoring i think it is a #9 1/4. blade marking say Stanley Rule & Level So Im thinking its some here between 80 to 100 years old and is now set up for another life time. If you have any questions or comments please comment. P.S. i also have 2 Stanley bench planes im working on and a Stanley No. 192 that i should be posting in the next couple of weeks.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1404 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1428 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 172 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries