I need to straighten out an eight foot piece of oak. I needed to take a ¾ inch bow out of the board. I have no joiner. I clamped a straight edge on the oak and cut it with my skill saw. I do not have a wood working bench to hold it for planning either. I used one clamp to hold it vertically and another clamp to hold that clamp. Placing the whole she-bang against a firm object, away we go!! The No. 7 Stanley whipped it out in nothing flat ;-))
I picked up this little mitre box at a flea market back in August for $6. It came with a Warranted Superior backsaw with a bent back/plate and possibly a replacement handle? That’s another story. Out of all the tools that I have brought home to ‘save’ I’m not sure why this one jumped to the front of the rehab line. Maybe because it didn’t need sharpened. And I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be de-valuing it with refinishing (yeah, I watched a lot of Antiqu...
After a long week at work, I decided it was time to start the process of restoring my bench planes. I have been collecting them for a while with the intent of getting a good set of operational hand planes. I am hoping I will get a good set of usable planes at a reasonable cost. Currently, I have the following size planes set aside for restoration: #3, #4, #4 1/2, #605, #5 1/2, #6, #7 and #8. All of these are Stanley except for the #8 which is a Sargent VBM 428. The #4 1/2 and t...
During the restoration of RUSTY in Parts 1 to 4, I showed how to fix a couple of common problems. The first was scoring on the outside of the jaws caused by a rough finish on the inside of the chuck. In Part 1, I filed the jaws smooth again. In Part 2, I showed how to smooth the inside diameter of the chuck. In Part 3, I showed how to fix excess play in the sweep handle. However there are a number of other problems that you might encounter on a secondhand brace. In this e...
Ok so the title says it all. This is my first plane ever restored so I will appreciated any kind of criticism that can help me improve on this endeavor Disclaimer This blog contains 32 images, I do this to provide as much as detail as possible. I got a very old ( at least that’s what I can tell from the condition I bought it, can anyone help me to find out how old this plane is by looking at the pictures?) Stanley No 3 on ebay for the incredible price of $7.04 !!! last week....
I came across a stanley plane #4. In rather rough shape. trying to figure out the best way to go about restoring it to a usable tool. Looking for advice and such.
Just for fun, a bit of history to start with: “According to Stanley, “A Block Plane was first made to meet the demand for a Plane which could be easily held in one hand while planing across the grain, particularly the ends of boards, etc. This latter work many Carpenters call ‘Blocking in’, hence the name ‘Block’ Plane.” Tradition also claims that the block plane gets its name from its traditional use to level and remove cleaver marks from butchers’ blocks that were built with the end grai...
I would guess like most I start with the simple fixes first and would consider all the planes I use regularly to be in good working order but as the numbers grow it gets harder to keep them all sharpened and well tuned. So previous to this I went through what I had and decided which plans I need and use and which ones need new homes. Now with the numbers down I decided to flatten the soles. A process I’ve read about but never found the time, plus if you’re looking at large numbers plan on ...
I always wanted to try electrolysis rust removal and it is just as simple and effective as they claim. Note: This is not a full tutorial on electrolysis. You must research the many other resources on the internet before attempting this your self. IT CAN BE DEADLY AND ILLEGAL IF DONE WRONG. This is the old Stanley No. 62 low angle jack plane that needed to be de-rusted: Here it is in pieces: And here are a couple “before” photos of the body: Here̵...
I finally took my great grandfathers #4 Dunlap bench plane out back and cleaned it up this afternoon. The original forum post is here First I made sure that I had everything ready and all the protective stuff I would need to safely work with phosphoric acid. I soaked the small parts in a tupper ware and scrubbed stuff in my oil change catch pan. Gotta love a multi-tasker! And of course some tunes on the iPhone. The Krud Kutter Rust Buster really worked quickly, the rust was pretty easy...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries