Here are some updated pics of my process. I am doing a bunch now and it is a little pretty labor intensive , but well worth it. Have alot of extra time this weekend, so I decided to do my 5’s as well. Progress is pretty good. Now, time to relaxand let dry! Some notes: -I would have taken pictures of taping and masking, but I couldn’t find my camera charger. Anyways, it is pretty straightfoward; tape everything that wasn’t painted. -Also, I roll up pieces of paper...
Today I surface ground the sides and sole of the body of the plane. I understand I will probably have to lap them again after I assemble and tension the plane, but this will get them perfectly square and leave minimal stock for hand lapping. Here is a shot of grinding the side: This is one thing that was bothering me most of the weekend. There is this chip at the front of the rib and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I could make a repair piece and braze it on as before or I can ju...
I finally got off my arse and bagged up and labeled all the parts to clear off the bench top. Next up was to make a new wooden deck for the box. 1/2” Red Oak again. No clue what the old board is but it’s brittle as all hell now so it’s toast. And I got this far yesterday when 1/4 of the way through drilling the curved corners the board split along the grain…. Had to start from scratch with a new board. Oh well. Got to spend some time at the wood s...
What happens when an international company decides to return the premium hand tool market and a small-town craftsman supports the move? Well, not much. How about some background? On the 5th of February I walked in to my area’s family-owned and operated (since 1915!) hardware store and asked if they carried Stanley products. The answer was, “of course!” and I had figured as much because the yellow rectangle was everywhere on the shelves. “I’m interested in a ne...
I’m new to hand planes so I wanted to start with fixer uppers because I feel like the end result is the effort you put into it. I picked up a Stanley Bailey #4 and Millers Falls #9? For $40/pair. This is just the start with the Bailey and all I have done so far is a bath in Evapo Rust. More pics and progress to come. Any pointers are welcome as this is new to me. After an Evapo Rust bath
Here are some pics of my new Stanley/Bailey No. 5-1/2 Corrugated Type 11 Jack Plane. It has not got here yet but I still can’t wait to show it off. I decided to get this exact model after reading The Anarchist’s Tool Chest by Christopher Schwarz. You can check out The Anarchist's Jack Plane - here . Mine doesn’t have any fancy engraving. just a nice light patina, but I am tempted to give it some bling (maybe golden enamel). The Type 11 models were made between 1910 &...
Hey folks, We did lot of progress on the latest restoration project for the second Baiiley No 6 that I got from Ebay, and I can almost call this a complete project, but I still need to find out how to resolve the issue with the broken horn on the tote, and if anybody else can help me with this question I post earlier, the blade is very very sharp but is not square (there may be a 1/16 gap on one of the corners) so if anyone else know how to resolve the issue I have on that post that will b...
I was away for a long weekend in August on the garden route, just relaxing and taking a break. While driving around my wife wanted to check out an antique shop near George. Antique shops are not really my thing, but sometimes you see interesting furniture and always interesting to see how it was made. Anyway while checking out some cool old furniture I spotted an old Stanley no.3 plane. It was rusted and a bit neglected and apart from a small chip in the body seemed to be in good shape....
Last night I decided to commit to some face planing to get my boards ready for the glue-up. I’ve cut rough dimensions of the four stretchers and two boards each to make up two legs. To do this, I need to joint plane the faces so I get a good flat surface to merge. Afterwards, I will be finishing up the dimensions to exact measurements and smooth planing. Unfortunately, I don’t have a quality hand plane in my arsenal. I worked the face of one piece last night for about an ho...
So, I decided to try to restore this Stanley #6 I picked up at a flee market. This was in the worst condition of anything I’ve restored yet, but I figured I’d give it a go. It’s my third Stanley #6, but it was the challenge calling my name. First I tried to remove the broken screw on the front knob. I tried an easy out and wound up with a broken easy out in the riser as well. Plan B, which was now being devised was to grind off the riser, and braze a bolt on in its...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1658 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1683 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries