Today I cleaned up the smaller plane from yesterday…still not completely satisfied, but it will do. I then tackled a vintage Stanley7”. Inside it is marked “C 255” and has an “x” and a “2” below that (it’s covered by the iron). Back has “Made in USA”. The blade is marked “Stanley No. 220 (13-220A) Made in USA”. Not sure if it’s actually a Stanley plane, but no matter…I have several this size that I...
In my above video I share a recent visit that I made to the newly finished woodworking workshop of Frank Klausz. Frank is a world-renowned cabinetmaker and teacher who received his training in his father’s pre-electrical workshop in the mountains of Hungary. See the original blog post here. Before you ask, look at the bottom of this article for a list of all the tools that Frank mentioned in the video. When I first arrived at Frank Klausz’s home I was warmly greeted by Frank,...
I’ve been reading all you guys extolling the virtues of old Stanley Bailey planes for awhile now. Hey, I’ve got a 20 inch spiral head planer and a little 6-inch (power) jointer. I thought I didn’t need any of that grampa’s old iron. But, one day, something snapped. Two weeks later, here’s where I am. The photos here are straight from ebay. I’ve given them all a basic cleaning since them, but have taken no new photos (no 3 is not here yet). My...
Found that the honing guide that I use for plane blades and chisels doesn’t work on stokeshave blades. The blade from my Stanley no. 151 is too short to get the required 25° angle. Luckily, I had a short piece of steel flat bar with a hole drilled earlier at the right place. I cut it to make a table saw splitter, but ended up using another piece. The blade gave nice shavings when I learned what the right blade depth was…
Moving forward with the saw restoration.. The original tote on this saw is usable but ugly and pretty beat up so a new one is in order. TGIAG to the rescue! I have some slightly thicker than 4/4 African Mahogany on hand and it should make for a fine looking handle so why the heck not. The next few pics will be a “well duh” series for some of you but I have seen some questions asked around the forums about dimensioning wood with handplanes and I figured this was as go...
Hand Tool Journey #41: Stanley SW #358 Miter Box Restoration #7... Cleaned Up The Saw Plate.. Is This Worth Saving?
I am going to present this question to the group. Saw restoration and sharpening is not an area I have really spent much time in yet so I am far from an expert. So I ask is this saw plate worth trying to sharpen up or should I explore other options? I WOULD like to use the original plate if it is at all usable but like I said.. I’m hoping some folks who are much more knowledgeable on the subject will help me out here. First some before pics… Post Evaporust.. ...
Hand Tool Journey #40: Stanley SW #358 Miter Box Restoration #6... Assembly! Long Winded and A Ton of Pics..
(Inhales deeply) OK, lets get this going. Warning up front to anyone NOT curious about how one of these goes together you might want to scroll a bit to get to the money shots otherwise hang in there we have a bit to go over first. First things first here are what I typically use in any tool restoration during assembly. Nearly all of these deal with corrosion prevention in some form or another and that folks is the name of the game from this point on. We just spent a lot of sweat equi...
I might have had time today to completely assemble this but I wouldn’t have had time to take the detailed assembly pics I promised. That said there were a couple of things left to do pre-assembly that I was able to take care of this morning. I am hoping for an assembly day tomorrow so stay tuned for that. The first thing on tap this morning was to get my bench and parts/supplies organized for tomorrow. I got out only this boxes parts ao it brings the part count down a bit. ...
I finally got off my arse and bagged up and labeled all the parts to clear off the bench top. Next up was to make a new wooden deck for the box. 1/2” Red Oak again. No clue what the old board is but it’s brittle as all hell now so it’s toast. And I got this far yesterday when 1/4 of the way through drilling the curved corners the board split along the grain…. Had to start from scratch with a new board. Oh well. Got to spend some time at the wood s...
Well it took a week to get to it but I finally have everything clean and ready for masking and paint. First up was the main base it’s self. This thing was too rusty for the Citristrip to even make a dent in but it did clean up with a steel wire wheel and my angle grinder well enough. Any left over rust spots (mostly in those hard to get to crevasses) will get treated with some Rustoleum rust reformer before paint just to avoid any cancer from forming and spreading. The p...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1434 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1458 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 232 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 193 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 182 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries