I managed to sell my old scroll saw the same day Guy Pal put the down payment on the new saw. It’s a cheap Harbor Freight saw, but it comes with a decent supply of blades, the original box, the paperwork, and a sturdy stand. I good friend of mine pounced on it when I offered it to him at $45. This money will go directly into guy pal’s pocket to start paying off my new saw. I was going to put it on Craigslist for 50, but I do still have lots of fond feelings toward this saw. I made...
Yes I know, I posted the beads box as a complete project: But since I didn’t hear no fat lady sing I have not yet come to a halt. Now is the fun part – the small add ons. First on the list was the wire drawer, or the strings drawer. My plan was to house 2 rolls of wires in a drawer, and pass the wires through the draw front so that the wires can be pulled and cut to length without the need to open the drawer at all. I was also thinking about implementing a blade in the drawe...
Just before starting the new job, I decided to clean up one little area in front of my garage and log racks. I used some 2×4s from that Mexican restaurant that closed down, and pine slats from crates from a restaurant next door to that which was receiving kitchen appliance deliveries at the time (both scores – junky as they may be – here). The wheels were rescued from the simple 2×4 hand truck I made awhile ago, which broke (last 2 pics) from dragging too many huge logs ...
Quick little project and it didn’t take long. Two items I wish I would have spent a little more time planning out before committing myself to cutting action…. 1. I got in a hurry on one of the stretchers and didn’t predrill the hole. So I had a little bit of blowout when driving the screw. 2. I changed my mind on the positioning after I drill a couple holes to house the base. Ummmm, next time I should probably think about that before putting a drill in my hand. Mino...
The trash man giveth and the trash man taketh away…. That would seem to sum up most of my woodworking experiences so far :) At any rate, I pulled the trigger on a new Dewalt scroll saw. I have been using a cheaper model for some time and I made do but wanted to work with something a little nicer and get those compound cuts and fretwork moving. I have been using my bench for awhile, but wanted a dedicated stand for this one. I downloaded a free plan from Wood awhile back and was going...
Well, it looks like I won’t have the money for Darrell’s class at William Ng’s school this weekend (or Disneyland either for that matter). I’m pretty bummed. I had to do the right thing and spend my tuition on sailing instructor seminars to further my “real” career. Luckily, the woodworking classes are offered often (I’ve got them all on the calendar), and Mickey will always be there. I may just have to bite the bullet and plunge back into the s...
When I last left off, I showed the dovetail slides, but they didn’t have a good way yet of attaching to the drawers, and weren’t in the drawer carcase yet. That reminds me. Here’s the carcase installed: I cut a piece of scrap ply to fit on the top and tacked it on with small, set nails – lots of ‘em :) And now for another rambling video on how I finished up the drawer slides: This was the glue-up on the drawer blocks: Adding walnut pegs thro...
In early December, a little more than a week before I flew home, I decided to make mom a cutting board. However, the garage was a mess. I spent some time figuring out what I could attack, cleaning off the back table to use for flattening the board after the glue-up, building the router sled and rails to perform the flattening, and as a slipped-in, totally unrelated side project, I built a quickie rolling lathe stand on the cheap, as I’m still looking for work. When I say “on the c...
I was able to plane the stock for the shelves yesterday. I glued up a large enough blank for two shelves, then used the fence to cut them parallel. I then used the cross-cut sled to square the other sides. I got to use my Delta new mortiser to make all of the mortises (3 on each side x 4 sides = 12 total). Luckily, they were all 3/8” and had the same offset from the front/back. This meant that with one setup, I could knock them all out. If I had done them with a chisel, ...
Well, after three days in solitary, I decided to pop the the weasel. The different boards fumed to different tones, but I think with shellac and brown furniture wax, it’ll be just non-perfect enough for some charm. The wood putty had no tannins in it, so it’s almost white. Luckily, one corner is perfect, so that’ll be the one facing out. I tried my Dark Fumed Oak aniline dye, and it didn’t work on the putty either. I even brushed the liquid ammonia directly on...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries