I just finished my drafting/desk and finally brought it into the house this evening. This was a great project to make and there were two new techniques I used on this project, so I learned a lot. As part of the design for this desk I decided that I wanted a slight taper and curve to the legs and I wanted a deep red Mahogany color. After making a template for the legs I contemplated how to cut each leg out, the fastest way would have been to either use a flush trim bit with a router agains...
.. and it dates from this very evening. Hey everybody. I’ve bin bitten to the bone by the pen turning bug, as some of you already know. Here’s the latest one. No, wait… I actually made four more after this one. Anyway. I took no shots of the turning – but I have plans to rebuild version 2 of the homemade pen lathe next month, and to include an iPhone stand to shoot still & video while turning and finishing.When sewing the pouch, it hit me and I grabbed my ...
I got it built and ready for the finish. The customer requested that we do a two tone color. They really want it exactly like the saw on our web site (see example). I tweaked the colors a little bit but for the most part it is standard Minwax colors (see color chart). I used Red Chestnut and Golden Pecan. When using stain you can not tape off. There is not way to get a crisp line. You’ll always have some bleeding. I just had to stain parts as separate pieces and assemble them ...
I have a few wooden garage doors where I outsourced the finishing. They applied 3 coats SIkkens stain and the doors looks great BUT, when they applied a bead of the DAP acrylic caulking “Alex Plus” along the sides of boards helping keep water out they smeared it in large areas where it shouldn’t be. Does anyone know a good way to remove this caulking from the newly stained wood door without compromising the finish when removing it?
I currently use Sikkens Cetol Plus stains and Benjamin Moore Paints for the wood garage doors and wood entry doors I make.I like the products but they are softer products which makes it hard to ship when ABF comes to pick them up. Even after I let them dry for 2 days I still get random shipments where there are shipping impressions in the finish. I’ve talked to Hirshfields and other paint sources and they say these finishes are great, but not the best for a production facility.Does anyo...
I know dark colors are a bad idea in a dusty shop, but I just couldn’t resist their siren song. Time to go crash my boat on the rocks! I looked at the colors of the planer, and with the help of our office manager at my company, decided I wanted a black cabinet with a red drawer. I labored over my choices for an hour in Home Depot, and even had them unpack stock boxes to get some Minwax ‘blank’ stain so we could mix up some reds. I chose “Spice” and “Chin...
Almost nowBefore I get to the current work on the kitchen, let’s play catch-up.: After a successful but expensive run on the living room and dining room we decided to keep on with the back of the house. We had two rooms to strip/stain and replaster/paint. Plus the L-shaped hallway. I will let the pictures do the talking. DenThe den before (why did I paint it like this?).. During plaster work and with windows stripped. Turns out the casements had been replaced. They look lik...
...takes 90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the project takes an additional 90% of the time. So it feels like we’re closing in, but finishing and hardware installation are still going to take a little while. Sunday morning Daniel was off partying with friends in San Francisco. I went out to the shop and did a bunch of shaping, and then Charlene and I went over to Tall Toad Music and, with the help of the very friendly staff there, dug through the basement ‘til we found ...
Hey guys, Just for a quick update. The cultures I attempted last time did actually work to some degree. Something grew inside the agar mix :pNo stain from the Ca culture yet and I don’t really expect any to happen. I also grew the accompanying yellow fungus, which actually develops rather agressively into the culture medium. Certainly a big white rot fungus there, Fomes Fomentarius probably, knowing that it was on the tree I took the infested bark from. For the next mushy hunting ...
The finish was sprayed yesterday. It was a combination of a dye stain, wiping stain, and a protective coat. The dye stain was srayed on only. Since it was thinned with about 50 parts to one thinner, it dried in about 10 seconds. That gave me the very dark tone I was after. Some production lines use this process only for their color, but I feel it doesn’t give the piece enough depth. I still use a wiping stain, in this case Dark Walnut, to “pop” the grain. The finish...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1293 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1315 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries