So here it is: the first attempt at determining the temperature at which the pigment produced by Chlorociboria vanishes. This is preliminary data (you never stress it enough!), furthermore testing will be needed to assess the exact way it happens within a seriously controlled setup. The pigment is stable up to 90°C, then it quickly starts to degrade. At around 110°C, half the pigment has lost its color. At 125°C, only 25% of the coloring remains. At 155°C, only 10% of the green is s...
I just start a new project for my kids. As i have learned from my forefather, everytime i want to stain soft wood such as Birch, Maple… i have conditioning the wood first, then stain it. Last time i went to local store, they ran out of wood conditioner, the owner recommend me to use stain from JAR. He said that with JAR, there is no need to conditioner the wood, look like it is al-in-one sort of thing. Have anyone tryied this? please advise. Thank you very much. Always value your e...
2 days left and I got a finish coat of stain on tonight, after my wife got home from work and helped me get a burl. The city dumps trees and compost and dirt about a quarter mile behind my house and my cousin is on the DPW. So I have free access to all the fallen trees in the city. The other day I was back there with the quad checking out my lumber and noticed a big old maple burl I could’nt pass up. So I started working on it with my chain saw. I never finished it through the holidays ...
Well, here it goes…the long story. On my last tour to Iraq I was stationed at Balad AB, the largest FOB (Forward Operating Base) in the AOR (Area of Responsibility). I was in charge of a 110 person security team known as the FPs (Force Protection). To make a long military story short (since this is a woodworking site, not a military site), my team was responsible for the security of the entire base both inside and outside the wire, and a lot of stuff happened that made us a very tigh...
Thank goodness it has cooled off a bit! It was so nice to actually get a good night sleep . The past several days were so warm and muggy it seemed that I was up half the night and then woke up tired and felt like I didn’t get much rest. I shouldn’t complain because I know that many people have it much worse, but I will say that I was very pleased when the sun set last night and the air cooled down considerably. It was a very welcome change and made for a comfortable and restfu...
We continue on with the build and get our dados sorted out.
Hey guys, So basically I had the chance to get back to my southern village a few days ago. Having some fine time to spend while my elbow was healing from an unfortunate accident at work, the first thing I did was to run into the woods to get to the previous Ca find spot. I can’t tell you how bad that thing was haunting me. Well, I didn’t get to measure things as I wanted to (next time!), and instead I merely kicked down all the trunks from a dead stump (not sure it’s t...
Well, yesterday I decided to mortise my box to accept the hinges. I don’t have a jig for this, but since they are very small hinges I decided to free hand them with the router and a straight bit. I practiced a couple of times on a piece of scrap and got the depth perfect, then I made my cuts on the box and they turned out great! Next I decided to connect the lid and the box with the hinges and here is where the problems started… My original plan was to connect the lid to the...
Back-tracked, spoke to several people, got some advice from The Woodwhisperer (Thanks, Marc!), and have a test board that looks promising. Color isn’t quite right, but you’ll get the idea… What I learned so far: Gel stains are good because the do cover so evenly Gel stains cover so evenly over waxy or de-waxed shellac – Norm’s process doesn’t work here The 1/8” masking tape does well to cover the inlay during staining, but comes up eas...
I just finished my drafting/desk and finally brought it into the house this evening. This was a great project to make and there were two new techniques I used on this project, so I learned a lot. As part of the design for this desk I decided that I wanted a slight taper and curve to the legs and I wanted a deep red Mahogany color. After making a template for the legs I contemplated how to cut each leg out, the fastest way would have been to either use a flush trim bit with a router agains...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1267 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1289 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 371 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 149 entries