I build wood geared clocks and have been thinking about making the gears looks a little more metal like with maybe some bronze and copper powders in a stain. Has anyone done this before and how did it turn out? I do not want the gears to be bright metal colored just have a hint of aged bronze look to them. I found another clock maker in Russia but the translation is completely lost between responses. The video of his clock can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrF70MW7c1c It...
People often ask me about my finishes and I am always wondering about how others do their finish too. I feel the finish is the key to any furniture. A bad finish can destroy the look and the value of a piece. I thought I’d share what I do and what material and equipment I use. As in equipment, I use an air assisted airless. It takes the best of both worlds. Low air volume but without using too high of pressure as in the airless rigs. It works like an airless, which I used for ...
Up early, I got a little done this morning before work. I tested 2 stains from my small stock pile on some scrap poplar, the same stuff I used in this rolling base. That’s Minwax “Golden Pecan 245” on the left, and “Red Oak 215” on the right. The pecan is less saturated than the online sample. The red oak is much less red, and much more like chocolate, but I like how it makes the poplar sort of look like a hardwood. I’m tentatively going to use that ...
Woodworking I am fairly comfortable with. All this new technology stuff, I am not. This is my first blog entry…ever….anywhere. I have been a member here and on a few other forums (of varying interests) for a number of years but I’ve never been a “contributor” in any real way. My wife (whom I love DEARLY) recently suggested that I start “getting my name out there” in an attempt to possibly start a business (albeit small and part time) so that people c...
We have been thinking about replacing the old entrance door. The door is really old and painted white. Besides, the door jambs, the threshold and sidelight show signs of wear and moisture damage; they are a bit out of square, the joints have become a bit loose too. This old door is sturdy and heavy and we want to replace it with something similar, that is, a stave core laminated door to withstand the sun, wind and water. While I learn how to build new door jambs, threshold, sidelight, a...
Hi guys. So, to sum it up, this is Chlorociboria, a.k.a. “the mean tiny hulk”: Making nice things to the wood it lives into (right) because of this pigment, the xylindein: Which response to light in the visible spectrum looks like this: And whose picture I was (almost certainly) the first to ever take with a Scanning Tunelling Microscope.Say hello to my little friend: Now how cool is that? :)
Since this was my first foray into a proper finish ( the most I’ve done before is a spray lacquer finish ), I decided to make a test board. I put a bunch of test dowel plugs into it and broke it out into a bunch of different sections. I used Varathane Dark Walnut Gel Stain and Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner. Top row is 80 grit, middle row is 150 grit, bottom row is 220 grit. Left to right columns are 2 minute rest time, 4 minute rest time, 6 minute rest time, 8 minute rest tim...
Based on discussion with some of the woodworkers on /r/woodworking, I opted to forego the pre-stain conditioner. I went again and stained the entire back rest with the dark walnut gel stain. Doesn’t look like Dark Walnut on most of the pieces though, eh? This is because, as I mentioned before, all the wood was second-hard from a friend of a friend’s bookshelf. I’m not sure if he had stained it previously or it was just the natural aging of the wood, but the color of ...
After several hours of carving with my Dremel tool over the last two days, I completed the custom checkers for this project. This was my first attempt at wood carving and with 48 sides to carve, it was a bit tedious, but not too difficult. My skills improved a good deal by day two and I took some extra time to go back over the first day’s checkers and make sure they were all pretty consistent. I took some video of the carving process to post as a separate blog entry once I have...
Hi guys, So in an effort to gear up my lab stuff, I recently bought a cheap peristaltic pump on ebay to help extract xylindein faster. Relying on gravity sure works, but it’s damn slow. So I filled up a funnel with xylindein-stained sawdust, connected the output to the pump, set the other end of the pump above the funnel for a closed-loop circuit of sorts, dropped enough acetone to soak all the sawdust, and fired the pump for a few minutes. Wow, I gotta tell you, this modus operandi ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 220 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries