Thanks to everyone for sticking with me to the end. In this video I cover all the little things that have to happen before I can finish, as well as the finishing process itself. The bench turned out better than expected and my customer was elated. As always, keep the conversation going below. Thanks for watching! View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thomaslightleFacebook: https://www.facebook.com/redbarnwoodworking/Twitter: https://twitter.com/tnlightleWebsite: http://w...
Blotching is uneven coloring on the substrate, and wood is the substrate I am discussing here. There are many ways to change the look of wood – dyes, dye stain, pigment stain, and variations of both (paint, glazes, and pigment only stains primarily sit on top of the wood and obscure it some or completely, and are not relevant to this discussion). I will simply refer to using all of these as coloring the wood, since the best method to control all of them is the same. I will discuss readi...
So I’m new to lumberjocks and wood working and already enjoy the hell out of it. My first project was a toy box for my daughter and at the same time a boat bookshelf for my son, which turned out really good. I have an incra router table but only used a biscuit jointer for the joinery, although I made some nice trim for both projects using the incra. My problem is the minwax wood filler. I used it for nail holes and other defects. I figured I would get minwax stain and wood filler just t...
Hey! I figured out how to embed videos. Yay! Next step is to create the panels that will fit in the tongue and groove joinery of the frame. I chose 1/2” red oak plywood. That way I would have a 1/4” reveal on the outside and the panels would be flush with the frame on the inside.Some of the techniques I practiced in this session are the following:Cross-cutting veneer plywood with minimal tear-outSetting up a dado blade for cutting rabbetsPreparation of panel stock for stainin...
Banquette build....my first furniture attempt #3: My third child is stained and ready for protection
I call this my third child because as I’m nearing the finish line with this we have had two children, my wife quit her job to stay home with the kids, and I’ve gone through a job change (with promotion). With all that has gone on this poor project has had more off time than on, but now I am so close to the finish line I can taste it. Since the last post I got all of the final little cuts and finishes buttoned up. I was still struggling with the stain but finally found...
The goal is to get a finish similar to this from groovyman6. Sample boads are rift sawn white oak, first dyed with Transtint Brown Mahogany, either at 1 to 32 dilution (two thinner bands) or at 1 to 15 (three thicker bands): (photo taken in the shade) After the dye dried, I lightly sanded the darker bands with either grit 600 (the top one) or 220 (the bottom one), then applied Minwax Tung Oil Finish per instructions and then, next day, one board was stained with Minwax Mahogany Gel S...
I’m still waiting for my mini kanna to arrive, and I’m kind of in-between big projects. I’ve really got nothing noteworthy going on. It’s been a slow period for my woodworking, consisting of nothing more than a sharpening day last week. My wife kept dropping a deck of tarot cards and the box is now mashed up pretty good, so I decided to do a quick little project and build a card box. I didn’t feel like doing any “high woodcraft”, so I grabbed so...
We have been thinking about replacing the old entrance door. The door is really old and painted white. Besides, the door jambs, the threshold and sidelight show signs of wear and moisture damage; they are a bit out of square, the joints have become a bit loose too. This old door is sturdy and heavy and we want to replace it with something similar, that is, a stave core laminated door to withstand the sun, wind and water. While I learn how to build new door jambs, threshold, sidelight, a...
This was a fun experimental project. I attempted to use a clothing dye as a stain to see what different colors I could create while still being able to see the grain pattern. I also laminated plywood pieces together to see what effect could be made with the different layers being visible. Check out the video to see the end results!
Staining the seat. As mentioned, I’m using a dark walnut gel stain. This is what it looks like before wiping it off.I actually really like the way this looks. If for some reason the finish turns out horribly, at least I know I can resort to a paint to get it to look like this. ....annnndd this is what it looks like after wiping it off. Once gain, I’m satisfied but by no means ecstatic. I opted not to use wood conditioner since it is a gel stain and gel stain sh...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries