The time has come to start building my new workbench. I am using wood from some industrial size pallets from my work. The wood is some kind of spruce that came out of Hungary. In this installment I will be preparing the stock that will become the tabletop. I have to do some serious milling to get the stock straight and square before I could get it ready for glue-up. Be sure to participate in the comments section, and I hope you enjoy the video! View on YouTube Instagram: https://www.i...
What!! 2 days later!!! Well maybe I want to finish before the Aztec calendar runs out so that I don’t have to switch to a new time keeping system in the middle of a cello build. What a billing disaster that would be! I joined the Spruce plate without a single bit of trouble shortly after writing the last blog post. Next came re-flattening the back side of the plates. The set up: I sanded out the plane marks with a random orbit sander, 60, 120 and 220 grit to finish. giving ...
Yesterday I finished fixing my thickness sander. The ball bearings made a big difference, it did not over heat at all. If I had been thinking straight when I made the thing I would have made a much larger drum, in which case it could spin slower for the same SFM and the bushes would have been fine, oh well live and learn! Dimensions of the linings are 22mm high, 2.2mm thick. After thicknessing I planed one edge smooth with this great set up: Action shot: Then trimmed them to ...
Time, just now, doesn’t allow many words to describe this process. It’s my first attempt an an acoustic guitar. I hope I have taken enough photographs to tell the story. Other than the spruce soundboard, much of the instrument is made from bits and pieces from the shed. Ah yes, I started to make jigs five years ago! This is why I made the thicknessing sander! To Part Two
In this part of the construction blog of my OM-sized 12-fret acoustic, I’ll give you some thoughts about wood selection and milling… WOOD SELECTION I mentioned in Blog post #1 that I wanted to construct this guitar from scratch. Not that I don’t like the nice selection of exotic back and sides as seen on eBay, but I greatly enjoy the process of taking a tree (or large board) and seeing something built from it. Though Walnut isn’t a traditional choice for guita...
Hey guys….I have decided to build another workbench, as the “basic” workbenches like these:Unfortunately, these filled up quickly, and weren’t as stable as I would liked it to be.Being a hardcore gamer, I know how frustrating it is, to be busy clicking away and having the table shake, although I don’t play in my basement/garage shop. The same above applies with using a mallet and chisel, or a hand plane.When I use a mallet and chisel on my bench like the one abov...
This is a series that I have started that I will be doing over the next few weeks on my blog and on YouTube. For those of you that follow my blog, there will be quite a bit of duplication but I really enjoy the discussions and questions on Lumberjocks so I want to replicate it on here in, possibly, a slightly different format. Make your own bench First of all make your own bench with confidence. I will help you through every stage and in a few days, no more than say four, you will ha...
Hey all! Now this next step was really one of my favorites so far. Gluing up the body! Using Titebond 3 and all the pistol grip clamps I could get my hands on, I glued everything together. This is a picture of it after the clamps were taken off. I made the top and back oversized so that I could route them to size after glue up. While routing it, I set it up to make a groove in the side. This is so that I could apply the binding. The binding I use is a white plastic that i...
Some of the outside surface of the piece and the inside of the stump are very rough and needed a bit of grinding. Again a little bit of research and I found another woodworker who was using a Kutzall grinding head on his work so I decided to try the same. I went online and ordered one for my angle grinder and one for my die grinder. They arrived fairly quickly in the mail so I put them to work. They have worked pretty good, they remove alot of wood fast which is what I was looking for. W...
So over the past few weeks I have been looking into trying to figure out what kind of wood I wanted. All I could really afford was pine. I looked at the box stores and as much as loved clear or select pine it was way too expensive. Even the whitewood pine was gonna be a bit pricey. So I figured I’d head down to the lumber yard and get a better choice there. I managed to get two 1×8x12s of relatively clear #2 Common pine and two 2×6x8 of relatively clear #3 Common spruce. I jus...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries