[Above] I used an actual bracket assembly to locate the holes in the spine segments. These allow a bolt to keep the tables from falling out from the spine. [Below] The larger table showing the rear cut out and the pine edging. I chamfered the bottom edge of both tables to give them a lighter, tray-like appearance. [Below] A few coats of spray lacquer is all that’s needed. I decided not to go to the trouble of staining this project. The birch plywood looks nice against the pi...
[Above] After having some special alone time with my band saw, I cut out the new pieces for the brackets. Before removing the tape, I broke out my new friend and sanded the curved edges. [Below] Breaking the tape shows the dadoes I made on the pieces. This time they came out perfect! The pieces fit together pretty tight. [Below] So I glued them together and clamped them. [Below] So now it’s just a matter of drilling, sanding, assembling and a little more cutting.
[Above] Here’s the fix for the bracket size problem. There’s so much glue surface on it that I’m confident it would hold. But… [Below] When I put it on the spine, I discovered that I hadn’t thought far enough ahead in my fix. The side pieces are not long enough to cover the spine segment completely. To be exact, they are 3/4 inches too short=the thickness of a spine segment. :( [Below] So I’ll dig out that scrap piece of very similar plywood ...
[Above] I decided I should make the brackets next since they need to hold the tables to the spine (Confused yet?) So I taped the two sides together and cut them on the band saw. If you saw my recent tip you’ll know why they ended up a little more free-form than I planned. [Below] Then I sanded them to uniformity on the drill press. There are two sets, one longer than the other. [Below] After breaking the bracket sets apart, I cut a dado in them to add some strength. First I ...
A pause in the wood working journey. Bumma, had two surgery’s at once on Friday. One was to fuse two vertebrae in my neck. They were thickening (a little arthritis) and squeezing the cartilage out between them pinching the nerve in my spine. No pain but numbness across my shoulders and the tops of my arms that would have gotten worse over time. It’s amazing what they can do. Take the cartilage out from between the two vertebrae, replace it with a piece of (dead persons) bone ...
Have you missed me? Sorry for leaving you hanging for so long, but work was a bit manic leading up to Christmas. Now where was I? Oh yeah, I was just about to sharpen the last of my crosscut backsaws, a 12” carcase saw made by W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner. I restored this saw in part 1 of this blog series. It had a number of issues and honestly, it still has a few of them. 1) The plate was heavily pitted in places.2) The plate had a wave in it. 3) The spine was bent.4) ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries