Hello all, I had a couple of peeps interested in seeing the process shots of the Cocobolo and Leopardwood table with drawer that I posted, so I thought I’ll blog it here split into a few parts so nobody has to scroll through it all in one go… You can see the finished project here. I don’t have a shot of the small Cocobolo board I was given that inspired this table before I started cutting it up but it was a couple of board feet. There was a lovely rich heartwood section d...
Quick update since I’m short on spare time these days with all the work at the university. After several years of hard work from a passionate team, here comes the first ever book covering all the aspects of spalted wood (including a few scientific bits from yours truly) spanning from science to art (Krenov, anyone?). You can order your copy (or your significant other’s, if you’re in the hunt for the perfect gift) here! 870 pictures spanning across 288 pages, “...
This is a 2 foot section of a 12 foot long branch which I dragged off our bank this week. I speculated that if it wasn’t too rotten that it would have some spalted wood in it. After cutting it in half on my band saw, I discovered I was right. [Below] I screwed the half log onto a board with an edge overhanging the board. More imortantly one edge of the board was clear of the log as well. This is so that the board will be flat to the table saw and the edge of the board will r...
My friend, Julie, who gave me a downed wild cherry tree, said they had taken down a hackberry tree in their yard and her in-laws, a silver maple, was I interested? Um, let me think about it YES! Hubby and I went to see. The hackberry had been ‘hacked’. Maybe some spalting in there…possible bowl blanks? probable firewood. The stump was still standing, about 6-8 feet tall with a long forgotton clothes line imbedded in it. Kinda cool, a little bit of history. Went to look at...
I have never heard of, let alone seen spalted walnut.. That is until some boards stored incorrectly got wet and started to grow fungus… The boards in this photo do not have spalting. Or very little…then there are these.. This last pic is of a thicker board that was resawn on the bandsaw and bookmatched.. NB this is European Walnut..
Hi guys. So, to sum it up, this is Chlorociboria, a.k.a. “the mean tiny hulk”: Making nice things to the wood it lives into (right) because of this pigment, the xylindein: Which response to light in the visible spectrum looks like this: And whose picture I was (almost certainly) the first to ever take with a Scanning Tunelling Microscope.Say hello to my little friend: Now how cool is that? :)
Hi guys, So in an effort to gear up my lab stuff, I recently bought a cheap peristaltic pump on ebay to help extract xylindein faster. Relying on gravity sure works, but it’s damn slow. So I filled up a funnel with xylindein-stained sawdust, connected the output to the pump, set the other end of the pump above the funnel for a closed-loop circuit of sorts, dropped enough acetone to soak all the sawdust, and fired the pump for a few minutes. Wow, I gotta tell you, this modus operandi ...
So here it is: the first attempt at determining the temperature at which the pigment produced by Chlorociboria vanishes. This is preliminary data (you never stress it enough!), furthermore testing will be needed to assess the exact way it happens within a seriously controlled setup. The pigment is stable up to 90°C, then it quickly starts to degrade. At around 110°C, half the pigment has lost its color. At 125°C, only 25% of the coloring remains. At 155°C, only 10% of the green is s...
Hey guyzz, So little time these days with all the work at the university. But I finally settled for a while to build a wooden clamp for test tubes to make a first measurement of the temperature at which xylindein, the pigment produced by Chlorociboriae, permanently loses its color. As you all know, sanding wood leads to quite high temperatures at the surface, and I had previously noticed that xylindein was destroyed when bandsawing stained wood with a freakin’ dull blade from hell...
Hey guys, Out of the six compartments that I inoculated with Chlorociboria Aeruginosa in my petri dishes, one has absolutely settled and started growing and producing xylindein. Still I have to clean them every few days as the molds that invited themselves to the party are tough to fight, so I opted for the “gardening” method and just mow them out when they become too invasive. Using a lab culture medium would have prevented that from happening, but as I already stated in the p...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries