This last weekend did not yield an overly fruitful progression on the microshop as the house soaked up most of my attention. I was able to start a portion of the inner framing to prep the walls for insulation and electrical placements. These types of sheds have LARGE frame centers but they’re still set on a 16” center around the perimeter. So, it is just a matter of filling in the missing sections and tying everything together. As you can tell nothing too complicated about it ...
I’ve had the new workspace in place for two weeks now and have yet to find the time or gusto to start in on its transformation. Whether the rain or my daughter’s birthday preparations are the cause of my lack of enthusiasm I do not truly know but I am spending this time planning and researching for my inevitable journey into a “microshop”. Yep, that’s right. For those in the know you probably did that face that accompanies a sincere feeling of empathy for tha...
Every woodworker has a pile of lumber just sitting around. This weekend use some of it up to make a decorative pencil holder. Link to Video and Link to my Website
Hello again. Now the ‘boards’ you saw in part one were oversize at 45mm wide, purposefully so. Its easier to glue up and cut. There is a small allowance for error, if one piece isn’t square with the next layer. So, first things first, cut out six of each wood 45mm square. I always cut a spare just in case of screw ups. The first shaping work will be done with two layers stuck together Spares to the right. The sycamore is glued to the Sapele with superglu...
So, after the disaster of last year, it’s time to once again plan the disaster of this year! Last year, you won’t recall, I planned to build a massive all-weather roubo style workbench, and after designing what I still feel is a really good design, faced the difference between the project materials cost, and the amount I had to spend…which last summer was: Zero. Obviously my design was somewhat more than zero, and while cheap, zero is a number that’s hard to argue w...
I started this project a while ago, but because of work haven’t had much time to work on it. By the time I’m done, it should be just in time to put it up for the winter! Oh well. This is my first project entirely done with hand tools. This is the top, 20” square and 1 3/8” thick. The legs are 4×4’s but planed down to a little less than 3.5” I’m not sure if these M&T joints have an official name, but they’re more li...
As I have grown older, now 62, I have found that whenever possible I use both smaller power tools and even smaller hand tools. I often turn to my power hand tools instead of using my table saw or even my bandsaw. Instead I use my jig saw and small power saw (5-1/2” blade) with the necessary straight-edge jigs. My block plane is my best friend and I made sanding blocks from sections of hand railing (about 6” long). This along with moving to more non-powered hand tools seems to make...
I didn’t want to waste any time slabbing up some of the minilogs I cut out of the mystery branches I found last week, so Saturday I had a go at it. Very exciting. I had some split pieces, so I sanded them up on my belt sander. I like the faint grain revealed in the piece on the left, sanded down from one like that which I’m holding: I clamped my belt sander down to the table to use it as a mini (though relatively enormous) benchtop model: Here’s a long piece sanded ...
I finally ran the numbers. My shop is a 1-car rental garage in cramped, suburban LA. Making things extra strange is that there is a 6’ tall cinder block wall running down one side of the property that terminates right at the corner of my garage. It actually buts into it, overlapping the wall by the width of the cinder blocks. The fence around the back of the property passes about 4’ behind the garage, giving me a little tree-covered (Hollywood Junipers and Ficus benjamina) area I ...
BEFORE I START, IF YOU READ THIS, AND CAN OFFER ADVICE, I’D LOVE TO HEAR IT. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!! Ok, after collecting information from a couple key people, and looking carefully at my pieces, I’ve moved on to Sample #2. First things first. NEW CLAMPS!!!!! Not the best, but all I could get for now. On to business. More blanks, 10 this time. For these, I used a sanding block and norton 3x sandpaper. This was slow, but quiet as it was about 9:00PM when I started, and I’...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1538 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1563 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 168 entries