Hmmm… well I posted blog entry #6 this morning, and as of this moment it shows 158 views, but not a single comment! I’m either boring you all with too much detail and my mindless blathering, or I just have such a small following on this blog that all two of you were busy today…. Haha! Well I will continue at any rate, as I’m sure somebody who cares will run across this someday. ;) I decided after dry fitting the legs into their mortises to continue working on the...
This blog will document the process I’m currently using to build bible boxes. I generally make a box large enough to hold a bible and give it to a person who has either been recently baptized or married, or in some other way come to my attention. My hope is that I can build a box that will last long enough and be strong enough that there’s never a good reason to get rid of it. Then it can always remind the person receiving it that it came with a bible and hopefully that little ...
The box has been plugged, sanded and we took a Dremel to the punky wood. I think all the holes are ready to be finished and so we move on to the tung oil. I usually have help with this part from my wife and my youngest daughter. They love to see the wood come alive as the finish is applied. This box has been pronounced “boxalicious” by my daughter who also says “it’s so pretty it’s like a wedding dress.” So here are a few pictures...This shows the setu...
Catastrophe today at the WoodRat. I explained in the previous blog entry how I plan to use a sort of blind sliding dovetail to attach the sides of my boxes to the bottoms. The bottoms are first glued up from smaller boards since they need to be around 12” x 9”. After final dimensioning, the bottom has to be cut into two pieces so the dovetail trench can be made without the ends of the trench showing. Then I trap the box sides in the trench and glue the two bottom pieces back...
I blew out the hidden dovetail trench in the bottom of my bible box so I had to make a repiar. I picked a piece of the offcut from the sides or top, I forget which. The color matched pretty well I thought. Here are a few pictures of the repair process. I just cut little bitty pieces and glued them in the trench hole...You should be able to see the offcut I used laying across the bottom of the box along side the two blowouts...This one shows one of the patch pieces on the sanding block I u...
Well, I started cutting up my 2×4 and did some prototyping. Jointed and resawed a bit. Then I sent them through my little Ryobi thickness planer. Even after letting it acclimate to the house for a week, once it was prepared, it still warped more than I would have thought. I had never resawed anything before as all I have is a craftsman bandsaw. But with a new large blade, it worked much nicer than I would have thought. You can see the bandsaw in the background. I had never rea...
Ok, here comes the interesting part, not the hardest part, but the most interesting part. Getting all of the joints to line up and come together snug without a lot of slop was a bit of a trick. The bench has 22 sliding dovetails, two ends with half blind dovetails, and 8 through wedged tenons. They all have to line up pretty close or things wont come together square. I started with the half blind dovetails on the ends. This gave me the inside dimension from the base of the doveta...
I couldn’t stop at just making big drawers. I had to get all fancy and divide the top drawers into smaller drawers. I don’t really have as much to say about these pictures but I hope you guys enjoy them.....This first picture is really blurry but the rest are okay........Lengthwise, they are divided into thirds.........Same steps as before… Plow the dovetail groove with a router by hand, then make the sliding dovetail part on the table, just like the last blog...........Ta d...
It’s been a busy month in the shop.I finally refined my design to the point where I was happy with it. I’ve added a very gentle curve to the outside of the top piece as well as the two side pieces. For the bottom, I shortened the feet to 3/4” and shortened the lower drawer section 2 1/2” tall I’ve used sliding dovetails for all of the joinery for the main section. They will provide me peace of mind if the piece is hung on the wall. First time with slid...
Now for the drawer dividers. One thing I wish I did different for this was to do stopped sliding dovetails rather than through sliding dovetails. It probably would have been better to do it that way when it comes to glue up time and probably with wood movement too. .....I just used my P/C 4212 dovetail jig for my sliding dovetail guide. I know people make better jigs but, I had this and jimmy rigged it to work. Test cuts are the key for sure......I did each leg individually with sacrificial p...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries