I blew out the hidden dovetail trench in the bottom of my bible box so I had to make a repiar. I picked a piece of the offcut from the sides or top, I forget which. The color matched pretty well I thought. Here are a few pictures of the repair process. I just cut little bitty pieces and glued them in the trench hole...You should be able to see the offcut I used laying across the bottom of the box along side the two blowouts...This one shows one of the patch pieces on the sanding block I u...
Catastrophe today at the WoodRat. I explained in the previous blog entry how I plan to use a sort of blind sliding dovetail to attach the sides of my boxes to the bottoms. The bottoms are first glued up from smaller boards since they need to be around 12” x 9”. After final dimensioning, the bottom has to be cut into two pieces so the dovetail trench can be made without the ends of the trench showing. Then I trap the box sides in the trench and glue the two bottom pieces back...
This blog will document the process I’m currently using to build bible boxes. I generally make a box large enough to hold a bible and give it to a person who has either been recently baptized or married, or in some other way come to my attention. My hope is that I can build a box that will last long enough and be strong enough that there’s never a good reason to get rid of it. Then it can always remind the person receiving it that it came with a bible and hopefully that little ...
Brand new to the wonderful world of wood working (well almost), and thirsting for knowledge, I turned to my old, not so faithful friend, the World Wide Web. I went looking for how to videos (for free of course) and stumbled upon The Wood Whisperer. After watching every episode (most of which where way beyond my level but still easy to understand) I heard mention many times of LumberJocks.com, so I decided to check it out. After spending a down day in Sao Paulo, Brazil (on business mind you...
Well, I started cutting up my 2×4 and did some prototyping. Jointed and resawed a bit. Then I sent them through my little Ryobi thickness planer. Even after letting it acclimate to the house for a week, once it was prepared, it still warped more than I would have thought. I had never resawed anything before as all I have is a craftsman bandsaw. But with a new large blade, it worked much nicer than I would have thought. You can see the bandsaw in the background. I had never rea...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries