I’ve been searching for powerful CAD/CAM software that is affordable/free. I finally found it in Fusion 360 from Autodesk. They offer a full featured parametric 3D modeling software with integrated CAM. The integrated CAM makes the CAM parametric to the geometry as well. Currently, there is only a single product in the family which is free for personal/hobby use (yes legally). The full featured version is $300/year now. Come November 8, 2014, they will be offering a standard version ...
From Top to Bottom: Reed Diffuser (made in China) – where else(qty 3) hand-carved Long Sweet Acacia ChopStickin’sOnly reason I chose to show the “man-made” one was to show how close I could come to achieving a strait result. I cut the in this case small limbs of the Acacia tree, I scraped the bark off, the tape the stick to a “strait stick” I know there are a few “kinks” in them but that is what makes this project more changeling, in time I h...
This Bobcat driver must have practised and practised. I bet there a few OH&S issues with this one..https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202588186977854&fref=nf .Thanks Andy for this one.
For those who follow this thread, you know we have been struggling on dying bone. We may have found the solution, at least one of them. Here is a test piece that seems to be dyed all the way through To help the dye to penetrate all the way through the bone I decided to dye the pieces already cut. I had my papers already prepared from the start waiting for the solution The intended green bone pieces were highlighted in green (of course) on the drawing. I cut ...
Here’s a little idea I had last night, & decided to work out a way I could do it. It’s a Fully Off Axis Stemmed Goblet, where the whole of the stem is a half inch (13mm) off set from the cup & the base. To do this, I roughed to round, formed the cup, hollowed out (leaving the walls rather thicker than usual) & finished the inside & outside of the cup. (I should have also finished the shoulder of the stem section too…I’ll know for next time!) I then ...
My daughter Erin came out to the shop and scrolled me some Christmas ornaments for a charity event my Guild participates in each year.She is a natural-born artist, and I don’t have to tell you how much it means for her to come out there and join me in the shop every once in a while.Music playing, beautiful weather, & having great company in the shop equals a very nice morning.I am very blessed.
Not being the most creative and obviously skilled I have taken up a huge project that I am hoping will make things functional and smooth for every project to come. I recently acquired a Dewalt planer DW 733 and a DW 745 for 350.00 in great condition from a close friend. My hope and plan is to do right by him and use them until they die or I die. The goal a large “L” shaped work station that will house a table saw area, compound miter station, planing section, router station and ...
There’s always more than one way to go about any joint. I thought I’d share my preferred method for fixed shelves and drawer dividers in casework. I’m sure you can rollover some of these ideas into solid wood casework, but I’m speaking primarily to the times we might be using cabinet grade plywoods. I should also note that routers and their partnering jigs are very effective for dados, I just like using a dado stack in the tablesaw when I can. Mostly because of fami...
Since the ammonia fume diffused through the finishes so easily, I started to wonder how far it penetrated the wood. I had assumed the fume darkening would be a thing film, so I planed one of the edges to see how far it would go. I planed and planed, and found out that the fume had penetrated 1-2 mm through the face grain, and up to 10 mm on the end grain. You can see this in the planed edge shown above. The fumed finish on oak can easily stand up to extensive sanding. As always, please t...
After noticing that the inside of my box picked up some color right through the Danish oil finish, I decided to experiment. I finished an oak stick with one coat of polyurethane varnish (right) and Danish oil (left). I left the center unfinished. The oak darkened nicely beneath the finishes. The Danish oil appears a bit darker than the varnish, but the image exaggerates this somewhat. Nice to know that you can sand and put at least one coat of finish on before fuming. I’d test it ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1433 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1457 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 232 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 193 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 182 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries