I have built a number of bookcases since completing my first woodworking project in 1983. All of these bookcases are my own design. One design I really like is called the Kirkwood. I have built so many bookcases, I decided to begin naming newer ones after antebellum homes. One of my favorite such homes is Kirkwood in Eutaw, Alabama (see it by clicking here). This bookcase is basic case construction with the addition of bracket feet and moldings. Clicking the link below will tak...
The first step in making my daughter’s window seat bookcase is to create the sides and the interior dividers (shown in blue above). This is panel construction with a more difficult step which I’ll get to in the my next blog post. The legs are 1.5” square cherry and it looks like there is a little quilting going on in the legs, not sure. To create the curve on the lower rail, I literally printed the component straight from SketchUp and taped it onto some 1/4”...
My daughter is an avid reader and still prefers reading from a real book even though I think most 24 year olds are downloading books these days. Since books were stacking up on the floor, she asked me to build a second bookcase. The only space available was beneath two double hung windows. This meant the bookcase would need to be much more horizontal than vertical. She also liked the idea of something that she could also use as a bench. Here is what I came up with in SketchUp… ...
My second blog in this series is an adjustable sled. In a perfect world a sled would stay spot on accurate for ever. In the real world however things go wrong for various reasons. To overcome this problem I thought about a sled with a fence that could be adjusted when it goes out of square for whatever reason. Then I saw Dave's Super accurate crosscut sled here on LJ. This was also the inspiration for the SketchUp model which can be downloaded over here The other reason is that I found tha...
I have recently started using SketchUp after a few unsuccessful previous attempts. You Tube tutorials helped me this time round. I find SketchUp quite useful as it helps me to put ideas to virtual paper and it also helps to print out templates which came in quite handy with my first attempt at making wooden handscrews. My first blog entry is a wooden CClamp. I have seen a few of these made on the net (YouTube and LumberJocks) My one concern is that there is an inherent weakness where the u...
Here is the finished woodworking plan. I could go on and on finding little things to adjust and fine tune, but I am calling it finished… http://issuu.com/jeffbranch/docs/apartment-dining-table-1108141 Get an instant download of the plan here (no tracking software is used with your download)... https://jeffbranch.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/apartment-dining-table-1110141.pdf I am already thinking about my next plan. I am leaning towards one based on a pine bible stand I made ...
I am just posting my journey for my upgrades to the Harbor Freight Dust collector I got. I have been using it stock except for the wynn filter cartridge and have been happy with it so far, however I have been getting some leaks and will smell the wood dust coming from the collector after cutting items. So I figured if I am going to seal the leaks, I better just build a whole new cart and add a Thien Separator. The first post here is detailing the Thien Separator. I went over to his we...
So I’ve been playing around with Sketchup this afternoon and I am a bit stuck. I came across a design for a writing desk top that I really liked, but my problem is that I cannot figure out a good base for it to sit on. I came up with this design, but I am not happy with it because it doesn’t fit with my normal aesthetic. It feels a little too much on the modern side and box-y. (Dimensions: 40×20x30) Any suggestions?
So yesterday night, I decided that I was in despite need of a computer desk. I’m currently holding the dinning room table and a side table hostage to hold my massive setup. So I began planning the new setup the dream setup one that will hopefully last years and here is the plan…..
After getting my legs glued up, I decided to look at my plan to see how it would fit the likely final leg dimensions. And realized that the 6×6 legs in the SketchUp model would likely end up at 5 1/2” x 5 1/2”. So I spent a couple hours making tweaks. Adjusting the leg dimensions was easy. I also simplified a bunch of the joinery. Used LayOut to make dimensioned drawings for leg joinery. After all, I have 4 legs glued up and waiting for action. Was about to start cuttin...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1508 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1532 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries