After taking the Summer off (and enjoying it immensely!) it was time to get back to Work! And after searching around in the available jobs, I was lucky enough to find Work in the finest Hospital in N.H., the Catholic Medical Center of Manchester…It seems that their Cafeteria was only open for the first and second shifts, and their third shift employees had been requesting “Hot Food” for some time… A decision was made, and the Cafe is now open for them with yours truly ...
Here is the finished product. We added the white paint to the parts that needed it with a small roller. The old signs were made from Cedar and had been up something like 20 years. They were almost completely rotted away but you couldn’t quite tell until we removed them and they were basically an ant and termite farm. These should last at least another 20 years, only needing the paint kept up with when they start to look bad. We paint them with common exterior grade Behr paints so retouc...
This is what the signs look like after sand blasting with the grain frame. Then the green background color is sprayed on after several coats of primer. It takes on a grained look like wood. Next step is the lettering colors and borders. Thanks for looking.
Here is a new project at the shop for some sandblasted 3D HDU signs for a subdivision entrance. You can see the 5×8’ board ready to be cut down to size for the two smaller signs. In order to sandblast them we have to first cut a rubber negative mask that will keep certain areas from being blasted away. That’s what you see on top of the table and later stuck to the boards themselves. Next step is the sandblaster which I won’t be able to get pics of but it’s a prett...
Now that I have the cabinets, there was this large area that needed something. I decided on a shop sign with some unique character. I took a single piece of scrap wood and cut it into 4 strips. I then ripped these into thinner strips. One strip being slightly thicker than the other. Next was a bunch of layout work to make sure I had enough material and could make my sign as big as possible. The letters were laid out to create a rustic look. The look was to be broken strips of...
I recently picked up a sign making jig from Rockler. Here is my review and a sample project that I was able to do. As always you can check out my site over at: www.woodlogger.com for more picture/videos of what I’m doing in my shop.
Most all of my projects Have my brand on it in one place or another. Now, I don’t have a branding iron. But what I do have is a way of Chemically etching Brass plates with my logo on it. Here Is an example of one Now using the method I am going to show you, you can easily create custom plates as well for your projects. Not just logos but even plaques and signs.. Here are a few examples Here is how you can make an etched brass plate of your own….Now the first 2 vi...
We’re going to use a Dremel router to make a sign with recessed lettering. I suggest barnwood because of the contrast between the weathered surface texture and ‘fresh cut’ letters. I also have enhanced the letters by burning (pyrography) the edges of the letters for increased readability. Of course you can scale up to larger routers if you chose. Stock: Barnwood 2”x10”x24” Suggested material and dimensions Safety: Goggles, F...
This sign project was a learning experience. The guilding especially. That process was tedious and seems like one where you need to have done it many times before it would get easier. I used an imitation gold leaf considering the price of real gold. I’m satisfied with the sign and hope it creates a warm welcome to all who come to Red Barn Retreats. Here’s the view from the road. Is your driveway longer than mine? :-)
This is a HOW-TO on making a paint finish look old and cracked. Today I made a simple sign for my wedding. I did not write anything on the sign yet – that is the fiance’s job! Enjoy! In the video I used a black spray paint for my base coat. I used MDF – that is why I used a base coat. If you ARE going to use a base coat make sure it is darker than the top coat, and also use an acrylic brush-on paint – NOT SPRAY PAINT like I did (it obviously works with spray pa...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 369 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries