At first, I was enamored with #802, as done so well by Dale I looked it up in Robert Lang’s book “Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture”. I found an article on building it in Woodworking Magazine, Summer 2009 edition. I felt like I had done my homework and thought I might slip this in between the dining table and the chairs. We already have decent chairs. I didn’t really realize it until I saw Stickley Sideboard #818 at the Arts & Crafts Fair in San Fr...
I had a butcher block glue up that I decided to not use for what I made it for (bar stool seats) so instead, I conceived an artistic idea for some side tables. Let me show you how I made them!
At the urging of my girlfriend, I fumed a small scrap of QSWO and then went over it with amber shellac and dark brown wax, buffing it out with 0000 steel wool. It’s pretty magnificent. As a result, I decided to give my Limbert table an “authentic” Stickley finish. While waiting for the glue to cook, I fashioned what can only be described as an impromptu fuming tent. Even one of my neighbors came over to see what monstrosity I was building, as they’re usually ...
New Bid SubmittedThis morning I sent out my bid for a commissioned job to build two side altars for a church, matching the old original center altar. After spending so much time estimating and pondering if I left anything out, or put too much in the bid, I am glad I have finally made the decision, typed it up, and sent it out. This project will involve some pretty complicated woodworking, the type of challenge that I like. The church board will review the bids this weekend, and I should kn...
So today, I cleaned up the shop a bit and started on the template to make the back legs. Based on my AutoCAD drawing, I laid it out on some 1/4” masonite (hardboard). I even remembered to make it longer to affix the ends together. I cut it out and faired it as best I could. It’s almost perfect (you can spot 1/1000” off) when sighting down it. It looks pretty darn good from the side. I then double-sided taped it to a roughed out blank and using my pattern-followin...
Thanks to the creativity and hard work of Karson, Mark and Michael we are starting our first unique Woodworking Challenge! Karson sent the proposal to Glen Huey, Senior Editor of Popular Woodworking and asked him for their support in this challenge. Glen whole heartily agreed. Karson's proposal was to use the cover project from February 2007 issue #160 of Popular Woodworking - Thorsen House Side Table - as our challenge. When we have the Summer and Winter Awards everyone builds their o...
I look at a lot of regular wooden furniture and try and use hockey sticks to make it. I was looking at the side tables on the site and decided I could make one for my son’s room I finished the hockey stick table top last night. Final dimensions came out to 15-1/2” x 18” made 100% from hockey sticks, framed with hockey sticks on edge so that a glass pannel can be fit inside to make a flat smooth surface for the top.
The Thorsen House Side Table project is finally finished. The goal of this Challenge was to motivate new expression of the traditional table and to find other ways to interpret the work. I have benefited from this challenge by enhancing my knowledge of the Greene & Greene style. I have read more about their work in the last few months than I have over the past ten years. I found other ways to incorporate the Greene & Greene style in my interpretation and perspective of the Tho...
Ok, Here’s the deal. Its 12:35pm. My daughter has a doctors appt at 3:45. I have procrastinated my challenge project to the point that I had to abandon my idealistic goal of glueless wedge tenons. I do reserve the right to rechallenge myself at a later date on that joint. I will get it done!The legs are clamped up and nearly dry Here's the top. Pocket holes have replaced wedge tenons...Yes, I'm in a hurry. The sides are small, but mighty!
I trusted that the bit for my pocket hole jig was correctly set. I was wrong. When I attached the top to the sides and legs, here is the result. I like the way the table looks, but the holes on top are enough to make me pull out my dwindling hairs. As a result, I had to resort to nailing the top to the legs in order to finish the contest and take my little angel to the doctor.UGH! The smaller holes are from the brad nailer.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1356 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1379 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 391 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 224 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 189 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 179 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 154 entries