Thanks to the creativity and hard work of Karson, Mark and Michael we are starting our first unique Woodworking Challenge! Karson sent the proposal to Glen Huey, Senior Editor of Popular Woodworking and asked him for their support in this challenge. Glen whole heartily agreed. Karson's proposal was to use the cover project from February 2007 issue #160 of Popular Woodworking - Thorsen House Side Table - as our challenge. When we have the Summer and Winter Awards everyone builds their o...
I’ve had a fun week. I’m building a chair to match the Tilt Front Desk that I previously posted, and blogged about. If you want to read about the desk, the posting link is given at the bottom of this blog. The desk chair is designed to fit the customer’s kitchen, as the desk is being placed in the kitchen area. She loves to cook, and hopes to move her laptop computer station to the kitchen where she can capture her thoughts on her cooking blog, and do more writing. ...
At the urging of my girlfriend, I fumed a small scrap of QSWO and then went over it with amber shellac and dark brown wax, buffing it out with 0000 steel wool. It’s pretty magnificent. As a result, I decided to give my Limbert table an “authentic” Stickley finish. While waiting for the glue to cook, I fashioned what can only be described as an impromptu fuming tent. Even one of my neighbors came over to see what monstrosity I was building, as they’re usually ...
At first, I was enamored with #802, as done so well by Dale I looked it up in Robert Lang’s book “Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture”. I found an article on building it in Woodworking Magazine, Summer 2009 edition. I felt like I had done my homework and thought I might slip this in between the dining table and the chairs. We already have decent chairs. I didn’t really realize it until I saw Stickley Sideboard #818 at the Arts & Crafts Fair in San Fr...
The Thorsen House Side Table project is finally finished. The goal of this Challenge was to motivate new expression of the traditional table and to find other ways to interpret the work. I have benefited from this challenge by enhancing my knowledge of the Greene & Greene style. I have read more about their work in the last few months than I have over the past ten years. I found other ways to incorporate the Greene & Greene style in my interpretation and perspective of the Tho...
I look at a lot of regular wooden furniture and try and use hockey sticks to make it. I was looking at the side tables on the site and decided I could make one for my son’s room I finished the hockey stick table top last night. Final dimensions came out to 15-1/2” x 18” made 100% from hockey sticks, framed with hockey sticks on edge so that a glass pannel can be fit inside to make a flat smooth surface for the top.
This end result is a nice little side table, but I must confess, it is not up to my standards. It will make a nice table along side the couch. I’m finishing in haste to get the subscription to PW, but I will continue my challenge and improve this table more at a later date. My son (age 3) loves to hang out in the woodshop, so he can help me. Bottom line, the baby girl goes to the doctor on time, I get my challenge finished, and my son gets to help me finish it next week! Legs, si...
I trusted that the bit for my pocket hole jig was correctly set. I was wrong. When I attached the top to the sides and legs, here is the result. I like the way the table looks, but the holes on top are enough to make me pull out my dwindling hairs. As a result, I had to resort to nailing the top to the legs in order to finish the contest and take my little angel to the doctor.UGH! The smaller holes are from the brad nailer.
I had a butcher block glue up that I decided to not use for what I made it for (bar stool seats) so instead, I conceived an artistic idea for some side tables. Let me show you how I made them!
So today, I cleaned up the shop a bit and started on the template to make the back legs. Based on my AutoCAD drawing, I laid it out on some 1/4” masonite (hardboard). I even remembered to make it longer to affix the ends together. I cut it out and faired it as best I could. It’s almost perfect (you can spot 1/1000” off) when sighting down it. It looks pretty darn good from the side. I then double-sided taped it to a roughed out blank and using my pattern-followin...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries