I wanted to add a T-slotted extrusion to my SS fence. There are so many possible uses for a fence add on.Add stop blocks ,need a feather board no problem just bolt it or them in place.I had made one for my Dewalt saw who’s fence was way to short.Here’s the post where I did that. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/171410O bought a 48” length of 1”x3” T-Slotted Extrusion off Ebay from 80/20 PLUS for $42 with shipping.I can use the same fence on both of my Shop Smiths and Dewalt, jus...
Since I now have two Shop Smiths I’m going to shorten one so I can use it as a drill press and not take up so much room.I cut 14” off the bottom rails,some have taken 18” off but it’s only a 1 hour job so we’ll take it slow and if I like it may cut off some more.Here’s the problem.I want the SS butted up to the wall by the table saw and it sticks out quite a bit.In this picture the SS is out quite away’s from the wall but you get the idea, it sticks o...
I all ways thought my first look at a Shopsmith was at the mall back in the 1980’s but these pictures beg to differ. I picked up a newer Shopsmith last week a 510 the ShopSmith 50th Golden Anniversary Edition 2002 man it’s all crome and shiny. LOL
This is a set of tea light candle holders that I made: This was my first documented build, so if there are any comments or suggestions, please let me know. I recorded the whole process and it can be found here: View on YouTube
This is a long story about getting a used Shop Smith. Been getting back into wood working the last year and an working out of my 2 car garage.I really only have half because the lawnmower and motor cycle take up quite a bit a room.Been using a small Dewalt contractors saw which I love for it’s great fence system.My drill press, and two sanders are HF with the Sears 12” band saw. I’m just making very small toy parts so don’t need or want any thing bigger. All this...
Though I was traveling on business most of the month of May and only had a couple hours to spend in my shop, I had psyched myself up to participate in the 3rd Annual Summers Woodworking 2X4 contest and for the most part am happy that I did. I bet that I almost spent as much time sorting through 2X4’s at the several local Lowes and Home Depots and purchases a half dozen of them before locating my “White Whale”. It was an absolutely perfect specimen and will be the 2X4 ...
I’m a little late catching up with my blog but as of May 6th the headstock is back on my Shopsmith and operating like a well-oiled machine. Pun intended…especially since it was in dire need of lubrication. Below is an updated photo of my “new” Shopsmith. Last night I finished removing all of the rust off of the bandsaw table and hopefully this weekend I will get it mounted back onto the bandsaw. I had to call in a little machine work from my dad since one of the up...
Monday May 4th I took my 1958 Shopsmith 3/4 horsepower motor down to the electrical motor shop and found out that I had a bad capacitor. However, after replacing the capacitor the motor still wouldn’t run and the guy at the repair shop recommended replacing the start-up relay. Being the mechanic that I am and having rebuilt starters before I figured there shouldn’t be too much of a difference between the contacts in this relay and the ones for the starter solenoid, except the si...
May 3, 2015 – What a roller coaster weekend of emotions; I walked out to the garage Saturday morning to continue the restoration of the Magna Jointer when I decided that my bench needed to be cleaned off in order to continue. While I was cleaning up my wife came out to the garage with a package that came in the mail; my rebuilt control sheave! I stopped what I was doing and started putting the headstock back together. A couple of youtube videos later I plugged it in, flipped the switch, and n...
After torching and wire brushing the wood slats that will make-up the dial I decided to paint them black. Yes, that’s on odd choice, but since the final effect is an aged patina I’m going to apply a crackled antique white as the final finish and I realized that there just wasn’t going to be enough contrast without adding black. Next I had the wrestle the 5’ X 5’ sheet of Baltic Birch ply up onto a Shopsmith Mark V that served as a make-shift assembly tabl...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1727 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1752 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 205 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries