Finally got my version of thien separator working after several rounds of trial and error. Thought I could share my findings. It’s made of a 5 gal big-box bucket, plywood, and plastic plumbing fittings. A 32 gal plastic trash can was used for collecting dust. Silicone adhesive and insulating self-adhesive tape were used to make the separator and dust bin combo as air-leak-free as possible. This is inside the separator looking at the intake pipe (black) and the pipe (whit...
I have noticed any number of shop vacuums are being manufactured under a variety of brand names with a large On/Off rocker switch on top. The switch is failure prone. Saw dust and fine wood chips can accumulate on top of the vac and work their way into the switch. That was certainly true of the Performax vacuum. Performax 4 Gallon 5 Peak HP Job Site Wet/Dry Vac Number: 2404827 that I purchased. It lasted a couple of weeks stationed by my lathe. Then, nothing – it would not turn...
In an article published in Fine Woodworking by Thomas Schrunk provides a plan for silencing your shop vac. I drew up modifications of his plan for my Rigid 5hp shop vac and realized that I was creating a behemoth (>36h,30w,36d) when you add on a dust separator. For that size I might as well just save up and buy a legitimate two stage dust collector. I decided to forgo the baffle design for a simple box that will sit on top of my shop vac and ride on the shop vac’s casters. That way ...
I started this project a year or two ago when I read about the benefits of a two-stage system. I purchased a Woodstock lid type separator for a five gallon bucket and when I filled it up too fast I cut a hole in the bottom of the five gallon bucket and put it on top of a Rubbermaid bin. Big mistake. However I was using the shop vac all over the house, most of the time by itself so I never really tested the efficiency of the system until the other day. While it was collecting most of the bi...
Drill Press Station – Table/Lift/Fence/Vise/Drum Sander My drill press is a small inexpensive bench top type, and until I get a good floor type one I am trying to get the best out of it. One of the first things I did was to change its old pole with a stainless steel one. Why stainless steel? Well it was the only piece I could find that matched the diameter and you can slide up and down smoother. So the pole got a lift-up of about a foot taller. One of those ikea wire sh...
After not getting to work at all Saturday in the shop because of family commitments, I got to work on my project most of the afternoon today. I wasn’t feeling to spunky after not getting back home till almost midnight last night. That was two hours after my normal bedtime. I trudged along and manged to complete the project and declared Victory at about 7:30 pm. I added an additional modification at the last moment for three more attachment storage holes and then decided to use a tub...
Made good progress so far today, made the top and bottom shelves. Drilled the 2-1/2” holes in the top shelf and the 3” cut out for the vac hose. On the bottom shelf, drilled the 1” holes for the dowel rods and cut the 3” slot for the vac hose. Assembled the upright, decided to use my Kreg pockethole jig to assemble the upright and to fasten it to the base. Still have to make the hinged cover that goes over the top of the Dust Deputy. This cover also has a handle c...
Got the base and sub-base cut out yesterday. Had to revise the drawing several times to fit my shop-vac from the original design. Today was mostly a bust on working on the cart. Friend came by and we made a trip over to Mike’s Discount Store to see if anything new had came in. Mike’s is a returns/close out store that stocks about anything you can think of. Most is damaged or NOS, but you never know what your going to find.After lunch got back in the shop for about an hour and...
Since I did the Dust Deputy Review in Episode 27, I have been getting questions and have decided to answer them publicly with a video so everyone may benefit from the answers. In this video I show how I reinforced the 5 gallon bucket lid that I mount the Dust Deputy to. In Episode 28 I gave information to help the woodworkers decide which shop vacuum size might be the best to use with the Dust Deputy. Here are the last 2 videos: Episode 27: Dust Deputy Review Episode 28: Choosi...
In my last video I did a review of the Dust Deputy and showed how effective it is. This prompted several people to ask me about what size shop vacuum is necessary to work with the Dust Deputy. So in this video, I decided to explore that question and share the results with you. Even if you are not planning on using a Dust Deputy, you might find the information helpful in your decision to buy a shop vacuum. If you have not seen how effective it is, check out my previous video where I r...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1585 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1610 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries