I made a router sled to flatten a Farmhouse style dining table top I’m making. It’s a simple project that produced good results. Watch it here: https://youtu.be/ykNEqxTe23g
I’d like to share one of my latest shop additions: hand screw clamp. The idea of the build was stolen from John Heisz, have a look at how he built it in details. There are couple of things that I did differently, but in general it’s the same. The wood used for this project is larch (as I still had larch board left from previous project). The screw was made from M12 threaded rod (about 1/2”). Jaws length is 12”, opening is 8”. I have to admit that ...
Somewhere recently I was watching a video where Bench Cookies were mentioned. I then ran down into my shop and poured out the contents of my ‘wood wheels’ which are mainly the plugs I save from my hole saw. I had 4 plugs about 2 inches in diameter and close to 1 inch thick. I pulled out a place mat that I saved from the trash. It’s made from shelf liner material. I glued the plugs onto the placemat with contact cement and trimmed them out. Now I have 4 bench cookies...
Some of y’all may remember the post a few years ago about the wood lathe I built. I’ve been meaning to write about the “how & why” of this project for some time and I finally got around to it! I talk about the motivation to build my own lathe, the expenses, design process, & of course building the lathe in addition to other things. Per the norm, the post can be found on my blog. I hope you enjoy the read!
This was supposed to be part #2 but it’s #1. See #2 for the back story on my router table. The first improvement to my router table was the fence. I have a bunch of mdf that’s been in the shop for years so that’s what I used. I know, not the best material for a project like this. But, my fence was a hodgepodge of ideas and I built it with no plans and just guessed at the measurements. IF it doesn’t hold up at least I’ll have a better idea of what I’...
Dang, I have parts 1 and 2 reversed in the blog. Sorry, but this was my first time trying to use the blog. I’ve been cleaning, reorganizing and rearranging my shop lately. The latest task has been to update my router table. I thought I’d start this blog with what I’ve been using. This was built approximately 9 years ago and has served reasonably well. I had acquired several metal cabinets from a copy machine company and started with one of those. I mounted it ...
For my castle bookcase project, I needed to make a series of 1” holes in a long strip of 1/4” plywood. I figured the easiest way was to use the drill press. To do so efficiently, though, required a fence and table. I’ve been meaning to make one of these for a while, so I figured, now’s the time! It’s very simple. Just a square of 1/2” ply with a little 2” square on the upper left corner to fit on the side of the drill press support pole. The...
Well I have a fully functioning Layout Compass now :D. All that is left is to do the shaping of the legs and some purtification of them. I am still working out the details of the purtification but in the end they should be pretty purty lol. All the pieces laid out with epoxy curing on the pins.. So today was filled with frustration and epoxy and a lot of brass dust. It started with cleaning up the mortise that the arc goes through and embedding the head of a copper rivet into the...
Making an infill has been on my bucket list for quite some time now. Making tools to me is more of a hobby than the actual woodworking. If you are looking to build an infill, you’re welcome to follow me along. I’ll try to keep the blog as up to date as time allows and would love feedback from others taking the same path. The metal work of the infill intimidated me a bit and I’m not really sure why. I can weld, I’ve done my share of body work, gunsmithing and tin work, ...
I STILL dont think I’ve got this whole multi-part blog thingy figured out yet. So here I am trying to see if I can actually make a “part 2” ... which should actually be part 3 or 4. Anyhooo…. I did manage to finally build my shop made disc sander. YEA ME! On the first attempt I was using a like-new Baldor 110v / 1725rpm motor but unfortunately I realized it was less than a quarter-horsepower, so it was WAAAY underpowered. In just trying to sand the edge of the ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries