I have the week off, and the weather here has been about as perfect as one can expect in Virginia. I have not missed out on the opportunity to move things along. I have the banding up and now I am putting the floor joists in. I assembled an 8×10 section above where it belongs, and then drop it into place. I figured it would be easier than inserting them one at a time. As you can see in the picture sometimes dropping them into place means dropping them. (The board I had clamped to...
First thing to do was to remove two large hickories. This was tricky because they had to fall between the house and the electric wires. Next a friend came over and drilled the holes for the posts This helped, but he only had an 11 inch auger (hole is 12+ inches in diameter) and the the code requires a 2’x2’ footer below the post. I took a digging bar and cut sideways to hollow out for the footer. the stick is 18’’ long Here are the posts, standing plumb...
I have owned a Jet Dust collector for some time now, and have always hated emptying the bag. Recently, one of my customers offered to swap this cyclone from a school wood shop for a product in my store. It was perfect for my needs so I jumped on the opportunity. Having several pieces for the duct work already, I did not have to buy much to get it set up and going, The worst part was finding the time! Using 5″ flex hose I rerouted the air flow to go through the cyclone. The bag only gets what...
I have a love hate relationship with my air compressor. Yes, its useful, but its loud and very annoying to empty the water from the tank. It also takes up valuable floor space. So, I decided to solve 2 of the problems. I mounted the compressor as high on the wall as I could. (about 9 feet up). This gives me easy access to the tank drain (when its not broken) and frees up valuable floor space. Granted, getting up their was a challenge. Use a loop mounted to a stud in the ceiling ...
Just finished the construction on the router table. Pretty happy with it. My electrician friend scoffed (rightfully so) at my switch because I didn’t mount it in a box. I cut out the old switch location and installed it properly. Not many practical color choices of laminate at the home center, so black it is. I used Incra T-Track and a Woodpecker router plate that will hold a Triton 3.125 HP router. Given the Triton has a tool to adjust the height from above the table, and...
Finally getting around to building a proper router table. I have a cast iron wing on my table saw that houses a router table, but its not ideal. The biggest issue is dust collection (i.e. there is none). I decided to go with the newest rendition of the New Yankee Workshop router table. I like the features, so, why not (and I don’t have to design it myself!). Coming along good. Using pre-finished birch plywood and oak for the trip. The top will be MDF with laminate. Base is...
Well.. It has been a while since my last blog post and wanted to catch everyone up on what’s going on around the shop. In February I purchased a house just outside of town on 1.17 acres of land. The house needed (still does) a lot of work but it came with a 1200sqft pole barn with a loft! The loft is about half the size of the down stairs so it has roughly 1800sqft of usable space in it. This is a serious upgrade from the 2 car garage I had in my last rental and heaps better ...
While working on the dust collection pipe installation fiasco, it was brought to my immediate attention that 26 ga metal is sharp. So… Figured I may as well get the fire extinguisher while I was at it. Having a fire is the wrong way to be reminded of getting a fire extinguisher :-) And, equally important, High speed internet. My shop is in the middle of nowhere, so no traditional Internet options (cable/DSL) are no good. I had two options, satellite or cellular. Sate...
I was hoping I would not need AC in the shop, but, clearly I do. So, off to the big box store. Got a 14.5K BTU through the wall unit. Now to poke a hole in the wall and slide it in. I wanted it as high as possible on the wall so its never in the way. It came with a remote, so I don’t have to climb a ladder to use it. All done. Works great, just removing the humidity made a world of difference.
I decided to build the miter bench featured on New Yankee Workshop (with a few changes). The design is great. Lots of storage and room to use other tools such as the hollow chisel mortiser and dovetail jig. Starts with (basically) plywood boxes. Then a sub top made from half lapped 2×4s. On top of the 2×4 sub top, I put CDX plywood (its cheap) and Melamine for the final top. I like Melamine. Its smooth and cleans up easy. Now for the drawers. Lots of dra...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries