I meant to post this post quite along time ago. I guess I got sidetracked and I forgot.Today I found the pictures I had taken for it and decided to post it now. Let me start off that I have an extremely small and weird shaped shop, so anything that saves space for me is not only a must do it is an absolute necessity. My shop is only 25 feet long by 6 feet wide. In it I have a couple scroll saws out at one time, 2 belt sanders out at once, one is a 1×40 and the other is a 4×36. A...
I got the last 2 of the 5 sections built last week, sans the corrugated roofing. Here’s how I did it, at warp speed: This marked the first use of my new truck, for 2×4s and small ply panels from Home Depot. What a joy! As an aside, when I cut this particular 2×4 to length… ...I made a new friend. I think it’s a fat bird. As another side, whenever I stack up cut 2×4s like this, I get a terrific urge to build a deck, or workbench: ...
I designed this simple proof of concept project for my house. My ultimate goal, (when I get the time, money, and tools) is to replace this: My current shop would be hard pressed to complete even this first project, but I think we will get there eventually. So here is the concept shelf. It is a wall hanging model, that when built will probably not go on the wall shown above, but will hang in the room, and hold some of our collections. I designed these shelves with Cherry and...
Now this kitchen is just taking up space in my shop. Everything is sprayed. The drawers are all in. I’ll wait on hanging the doors till I’ve installed the kitchen. This has been fun. I’ve just been installing for way to long. Nice to get back in the shop.The new mats seemed to have helped quite a bit. I can put in my full four hour day with out any complaint. I’m looking forward to building more in the shop. I’ve got two small jobs backed up. I wonder when I̵...
For the doors, I had a look through my stock piles, and this board, a 1/4”x8”x4’ tulip poplar plank – picked up at Home Depot months ago simply because it was so unusually pretty – really spoke to me. The picture makes things a lot more yellow than they are in real life. It’s loaded with purples (which will probably fade in time to brown), browns, greens, yellows, and lots of gradients. From those dimensions, I built a Sketchup model of the doors ove...
I moved into my house last May, and I think I can finally say that my shop is pretty well set up. For me, the perfect shop is one in which every tool has its own reserved place. That way I can put my tools up every day and easily find them the next time I need them. I guess you can say I’m a bit of a neat freak, but that’s just the way I am! I like to make custom hangers for a lot of my tools. They can be a good way to kill a little time in the shop between larger projects, and...
They’re done. All 256 of them. I rethought and then reconfigured the jig a bit so I could keep the same reference surface when drilling both ends of the “rungs”. It went very quickly: That was the very first one and it took a little under a minute. 32 of them took a little under a half hour. Next I had to drill the mating holes in the stiles. I rebuilt the jig from the same parts, marked up the pieces, and started drilling: With some trepidation, I dry fit tw...
So, it is time for my boys to get their own room. They are getting too big for their cribs, and I need to finish that spare bedroom for them so they can have their own space. We have a small cape cod home, originally 4 bedrooms when we moved in, but we made it 3, creating a master bedroom downstairs by combining the 2 smaller rooms. Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms, shaped like a plus symbol, and a small half bath (currently unusable as well). The bath will be a project for another day...
My Walnut board was 6 3/4” wide, but it was dished a little, so I ripped it in half, & joined it in 4 sections for the top, I also glued some Ash to the edges. The Top clamped up.Now I have to go out, & start with the breadboard ends for the Tabletop. This is one of the Shelves, using my new Irwin Clamps
The pantry in our bush house needed some remodeling. The “staircase” inside was really more of a ladder. My wife uses it everyday to go to the loft and hang laundry to dry and has had some close calls when trying to come down. So we did a remodel and built a more legitimate staircase, which also meant moving all of my solar equipment. All the lumber used was from trees I cut down and slabbed. Hopefully this staircase will prove to be more safe (at least after I make a handrail.) ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1451 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1475 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 235 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries