The puppies are now installed with metal L brackets. L brackets were not the look at I was going for but I figured they give good support without having to block off the left side of the shelves with a support beam. If I had a router, I may have attempted to inset the L bracket into the bottom of the shelf but for now, this newbie is happy enough. Anybody ever veneer an L bracket? :) Not the most artistic project but fun nonetheless. p.s. That’s an IKEA sliding door that I hacked ...
So, in response to my previous post – I’m only working on the right side of the closet design and I only have 6 shelves at the moment instead of 7. The wood I ended up getting was “Whitewood” which seems to be some kind of spruce or pine. It’s pretty light and soft. I got it because it was pretty cheap and the width was perfect so I didn’t have to do any ripping. I did end up getting a circular saw but there was a massive snow storm so I had to work indo...
As one of first, very simple projects, I’m going to make some shelves in the bedroom closet (which is oddly shaped). So I have some newbie questions. I’m concerned about the smaller shelves to the right. These shelves will hold shoeboxes and folded clothing. I’m wondering if support is needed along the left side of the shelves. I don’t want to put L brackets since I think they’ll look ugly. There is the possibility of clamping a support mechanism to the near b...
Here’s my most boring time-lapse yet – sanding up the cabinet doors to flush the rails and stiles, and prepare it for finishing. Speaking of… something I’d heard whispered around here a few times came to mind the other day while trying to get extremely gummy stickers off the maple I used in this project: mineral spirits. It says right on the can “for cleaning surfaces in preparation for painting.” I wiped some on, and just like goop-off, the sticker goo wip...
When we last left off, I was about to glue up the first cabinet door. Here it is clamped and drying: Here’s a detail (the wet marks at the left are just from wiping out glue – they dried up and disappeared): And because time-lapse videos are so fun, here’s the glue-up of the second door: And now the finished doors. Well… finished gluing together. Now there’s still sanding and coats of whatever I decide to use. I’ve been thinking of de...
For the doors, I had a look through my stock piles, and this board, a 1/4”x8”x4’ tulip poplar plank – picked up at Home Depot months ago simply because it was so unusually pretty – really spoke to me. The picture makes things a lot more yellow than they are in real life. It’s loaded with purples (which will probably fade in time to brown), browns, greens, yellows, and lots of gradients. From those dimensions, I built a Sketchup model of the doors ove...
I got the last 2 of the 5 sections built last week, sans the corrugated roofing. Here’s how I did it, at warp speed: This marked the first use of my new truck, for 2×4s and small ply panels from Home Depot. What a joy! As an aside, when I cut this particular 2×4 to length… ...I made a new friend. I think it’s a fat bird. As another side, whenever I stack up cut 2×4s like this, I get a terrific urge to build a deck, or workbench: ...
With the carcass hung on the wall, I turned to the cheapest 1/2” BC plywood I could find at Home Depot for making the shelves. I’m trying this new thing where I don’t blow through wads of cash on utility projects and hair-brained schemes. They were pretty warped and ugly, but cutting them down to 23” (22-7/8” actual) x 16” got rid of most of the problems. These are utility shelves, so a little warp is okay by me. Here’s me cutting the 12 shelves fr...
I’m still hunting for space to end the clutter in my 1-car garage shop. I found some when I moved part of the PVC ductwork from my dust collector a bit so I could open the overhead garage door again. In that space, between the dust collector (and its separator can), hoses and dust collection accessories, and the path traveled by the opening garage door was a location about 2’ wide by 32” high – small cabinet size! Note the > marks on the wall, tracings of the do...
This is a bit old now, as I built these starting in late March this year, but I’m expanding them a bit now, and wanted to post some updates on that. That requires getting off my butt and posting the original stuff I’ve dragged my heels on. With the trees that have fallen over, and the random large branches I’ve managed to find here in LA, I had an awful lot of logs for a 0.18 acre lot. I recently mapped out my tiny 0.18 acre lot, breaking it into 30 equally sized squares, an...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1729 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1754 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries