I have moved.. and moved a considerable amount of WOOD! I have updated my lumber rack projects with new photos of the current racks. My new shop is the entire basement, and to say its bigger than my last basement shop is an understatement. I have four times the space! and at least 88” of height between my floor mats and floor joists! I have repacked the racks and have collected EVEN MORE WOOD! You see my new house was built in 1918, and the basement had a few excellent resource...
My new scrap cutoffs shelves are handy for odds and ends, too, like the little roll of brown paper that’s always in my way, rolled-up foam sheeting, some jointed and planed 2×2s I use as straight bars during panel glue-ups, and a few sets of rails for my router bridge setup. You know… all the narrower stuff under 2’ long. I also finally emptied the two boxes of exotic turning blanks (on sale still!) that I got quite a long time ago. It’s very easy to forget...
All the pieces for both units were cut out at the same time, so there was another waiting to be assembled. I spent some time today on that. Here it is next to the first one, waiting to be filled up: I’ll have to find a new place to hang my roller stand, but that’s okay, as I’ve only been able to hang one of the two here on its over-the-rafters hooks. Right now it’s immediately in front of the new shelving: I learned something interesting about French clea...
I had to make some holes for shelf supports in the entertainment unit I am making, so I set up the Torque Workcentre ...I used the travel limiting stops on the Y axis… marked the distance on the sides of the boards…. locked the X axis …marked the back fence in line with the router bit… I used a spiral upcut 8 mm bit…moved the router to the backstop on the arm and drilled a hole them moved the router forward to the stop and drilled another hole… moved the ...
The puppies are now installed with metal L brackets. L brackets were not the look at I was going for but I figured they give good support without having to block off the left side of the shelves with a support beam. If I had a router, I may have attempted to inset the L bracket into the bottom of the shelf but for now, this newbie is happy enough. Anybody ever veneer an L bracket? :) Not the most artistic project but fun nonetheless. p.s. That’s an IKEA sliding door that I hacked ...
So, in response to my previous post – I’m only working on the right side of the closet design and I only have 6 shelves at the moment instead of 7. The wood I ended up getting was “Whitewood” which seems to be some kind of spruce or pine. It’s pretty light and soft. I got it because it was pretty cheap and the width was perfect so I didn’t have to do any ripping. I did end up getting a circular saw but there was a massive snow storm so I had to work indo...
As one of first, very simple projects, I’m going to make some shelves in the bedroom closet (which is oddly shaped). So I have some newbie questions. I’m concerned about the smaller shelves to the right. These shelves will hold shoeboxes and folded clothing. I’m wondering if support is needed along the left side of the shelves. I don’t want to put L brackets since I think they’ll look ugly. There is the possibility of clamping a support mechanism to the near b...
Here’s my most boring time-lapse yet – sanding up the cabinet doors to flush the rails and stiles, and prepare it for finishing. Speaking of… something I’d heard whispered around here a few times came to mind the other day while trying to get extremely gummy stickers off the maple I used in this project: mineral spirits. It says right on the can “for cleaning surfaces in preparation for painting.” I wiped some on, and just like goop-off, the sticker goo wip...
When we last left off, I was about to glue up the first cabinet door. Here it is clamped and drying: Here’s a detail (the wet marks at the left are just from wiping out glue – they dried up and disappeared): And because time-lapse videos are so fun, here’s the glue-up of the second door: And now the finished doors. Well… finished gluing together. Now there’s still sanding and coats of whatever I decide to use. I’ve been thinking of de...
For the doors, I had a look through my stock piles, and this board, a 1/4”x8”x4’ tulip poplar plank – picked up at Home Depot months ago simply because it was so unusually pretty – really spoke to me. The picture makes things a lot more yellow than they are in real life. It’s loaded with purples (which will probably fade in time to brown), browns, greens, yellows, and lots of gradients. From those dimensions, I built a Sketchup model of the doors ove...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1199 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1221 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries