For the doors, I had a look through my stock piles, and this board, a 1/4”x8”x4’ tulip poplar plank – picked up at Home Depot months ago simply because it was so unusually pretty – really spoke to me. The picture makes things a lot more yellow than they are in real life. It’s loaded with purples (which will probably fade in time to brown), browns, greens, yellows, and lots of gradients. From those dimensions, I built a Sketchup model of the doors ove...
This is a bit old now, as I built these starting in late March this year, but I’m expanding them a bit now, and wanted to post some updates on that. That requires getting off my butt and posting the original stuff I’ve dragged my heels on. With the trees that have fallen over, and the random large branches I’ve managed to find here in LA, I had an awful lot of logs for a 0.18 acre lot. I recently mapped out my tiny 0.18 acre lot, breaking it into 30 equally sized squares, an...
The shelving unit is in service! I ended up using 1/2” plywood all around instead of vertical 2×4’s. I also decided not to depend on the garage walls for primary support, so it can be moved if desired, though I did screw it to a plywood strip that was pre-mounted on the wall. Even though the unit is strong enough on its own, that simple action added a ton of rigidity. Here’s what it looks like, all full of hastily loaded junk, but keep in mind the paint is actually ...
Here’s my most boring time-lapse yet – sanding up the cabinet doors to flush the rails and stiles, and prepare it for finishing. Speaking of… something I’d heard whispered around here a few times came to mind the other day while trying to get extremely gummy stickers off the maple I used in this project: mineral spirits. It says right on the can “for cleaning surfaces in preparation for painting.” I wiped some on, and just like goop-off, the sticker goo wip...
As part of the revamp of the closet in our loft that collapsed a few moths ago, I built this jig to ensure all the holes for the shelf pins would line up and I (hopefully) won’t have any wobbly shelves. It was inspired by a jig sold by one of the well-known woodworking retailers. I couldn’t see buying one when I had all the necessary stuff sitting around (short of a special bit). In hind sight, the time spent might justify the cost. What can I say? I like building jigs. All the...
I designed this simple proof of concept project for my house. My ultimate goal, (when I get the time, money, and tools) is to replace this: My current shop would be hard pressed to complete even this first project, but I think we will get there eventually. So here is the concept shelf. It is a wall hanging model, that when built will probably not go on the wall shown above, but will hang in the room, and hold some of our collections. I designed these shelves with Cherry and...
In my last video I showed you all the renovation of the old shop space, during that renovation, I made some recess cavities in one wall of the shop. In this video I walk you through the steps of making the recess shelf unit to go into those cavities. These recess shelves are not just for the shop, they can be used in the home as well! Add some glass shelves and you have a nice knick-knack display shelf, or use them around the home for any organizing needs.
The puppies are now installed with metal L brackets. L brackets were not the look at I was going for but I figured they give good support without having to block off the left side of the shelves with a support beam. If I had a router, I may have attempted to inset the L bracket into the bottom of the shelf but for now, this newbie is happy enough. Anybody ever veneer an L bracket? :) Not the most artistic project but fun nonetheless. p.s. That’s an IKEA sliding door that I hacked ...
Here is a super simple project that I made with some scrap lumber I saved from a remodel job last week. Our garage has been needing some more shelves so I figured these could be put to good use, I was right. I know to a lot of people here this project will seem silly and to easy but I bet someone out there is looking for the very basics. Thanks for watching!
They’re done. All 256 of them. I rethought and then reconfigured the jig a bit so I could keep the same reference surface when drilling both ends of the “rungs”. It went very quickly: That was the very first one and it took a little under a minute. 32 of them took a little under a half hour. Next I had to drill the mating holes in the stiles. I rebuilt the jig from the same parts, marked up the pieces, and started drilling: With some trepidation, I dry fit tw...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1372 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1395 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries