I have heard countless times that you should never put polyurethane over waxed shellac. From books to magazine articles to forums to DVD’s, the message is always the same. Even the back of the shellac can itself says not to use polyurethane. Now I have always taken the “better safe than sorry” route, simply avoiding regular waxed shellac. But there have been so many occasions where I have heard of people accidentally using waxed shellac under polyurethane with no det...
Right Click to DownloadRight Click to Download in HDSubscription Options The rocking horse is a great project for new and experienced woodworkers alike so its perfect for our charity build. If you would like to build along, I suggest downloading the plan today while it is still free. You can also download full-size patterns here. The second and final video in this series covers finishing and assembly. As with any project, you should always ask yourself if it might be better to pre-fini...
This project is half finished – Literally I mean. I figured since I’ll be working on the drawers, and the toolcart is in the basement it’ll get dirty, and oily finger marks might penetrate the wood and no sanding in the world will take those out, so I decided to finish the cabinet and protect it from the ‘elements’ around…. and boy did I get struck out by one of those elements… but more about that later. And so I gave the cabinet a good sanding wit...
Hi all, Here is part three, finishing with shellac. I just wanted to show a beautiful finish which is really easy to apply. Hope you all enjoy. Paul
Well, Christmas was a big hit, but I had to put a few finishing touches on the horse. Karson was observant to point out that there wasn’t any place for the little rider to put his feet, it needed ears, and it needed some finish on it. I mixed up some amber shellac flakes from Lee Valley in a 2# cut. Thanks Bob #2 for the math help on small batches. I was scratching my head a bit. First I used Dowelmax to align the ear blocks and to centre drill the top for the leather ears. I ...
After about one week of sanding. It took forever! I will be attaching the top with countersunk lag screws. The holes are over sized to handle movement. The screws will only bite into the top. I put the base together to test it. I built a large tent this time from plywood strips and extra bender board left over from the garden. Here is a shot of the table going into the tent. Suited up for ammonia. Here are the test pieces. Left to Right: After four hours with no finish, ...
I mentioned it in the previous post and as I was working on the drawers I had the main carcass take the finish to make use of time. Mahogany much like Oak has large open pores. My finishing goal was more for practice than necessity, but I was aiming for an antique polished look – shiny outside. I knew I would have to fill in those pores if I want an even polished surface. So my plan was to start with a filler coat which I tried to concoct using dewaxed shellac and mahogany sanding sa...
This is a video follow-up from a previous text entry (Episode #71 - Shellac, Can You Make the Cut?) on my blog The Folding Rule. Tag along with me in the shop and you will see that in fact you can “make the cut” and add this fascinating finish to your shop reportaire. This episode covers mixing shellac from dry flakes (1# cut amber shellac) and reducing a premixed cut to a thinner cut (1/2# cut spit coat). Download a nifty shellac chart for your shop and consider using shell...
Which Wax?I bought a new kind of wax by Howards based on a recommendation from a friend. It is called Walnut. I compared it to the Briwax (Dark Brown) which I have have used previously. The Briwax is much darker. The Howards smells like citrus and claims to provide u.v. protection. It does seem a little more gritty, but applies smoothly. Here is a shot with one base assembly (right) finished with the wax. The other is not (left) Booooooooooring.After finishing the base and the under...
I’ve had a couple of questions as to what I use for finish on my pens. So, I thought I’d post a small process flow. I didn’t do the drilling process because the batteries died, so this is the lathe process. I’ve purchased a couple of new lathe pen making tools, and I got a new Lathe chisel for my birthday. So this is the first time on this lathe. And the first time with these tools, but I’ve used the finish before. I got a new Carbide Lathe tool. I saw t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1393 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1417 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 171 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries