I was talking about sanding mops and other things and only referenced that I’d polished things with it. On all these pieces my finishing regime is the same: 1. Sanded to 320 grit. I don’t have anything finer that I care to use on a piece that’s going to be polished, and I’ve found that 320 grit seems to be perfect for getting a smooth finish. (Side note: I’ve polished some unsanded surfaces. It doesn’t smooth them, but it will polish the high spots. )...
Book Shelf – Portable Bookshelf – for Tabletop Wood Magazine – May 2003 – for Plans I used a Sliding Dovetail to attach the shelf to the Ends instead of what the plans called for. I found a Bed Headboard on the street on Trash day… was solid wood! That’s what I used. I could have / should have sanded the wood a little more, but I thought it would some character to it the way I did. A little wood burning was done for a Unicorn on each End. ...
I finally bought a joinery saw, the new Lee-Valley (LV) extra fine dozuki they had on special a couple weeks ago, and boy does it leave a cleaner cut than my 210mm ryoba. The kerf is so thin, sometimes the blade sticks, I might look into waxing it a bit if it persists. Out of all the hand tool skills, I want to improve my sawing the most. By far it seems that a good cut saves the most time and leaves a better result than any later clean up work with my chisels. Most of the joinery were...
Thus begins the home stretch. Yesterday, I glued up the letters, decorated some little stars and fimished prep on the mirror and frame. I also wrapped up touch paint and trimmed the excess paint off the base trim where it sat on a plastic tarp during painting. In all, I spent about three hours doing fine detail work. Today was he final day. I started applying shellac at 9am and by 1 pm I had two solid coats on the entire bookcase (using a paint brush). I have to say, after usi...
Final Blog Series VideoWatch this video to view my finishing techniques on the Dr. White’s chest. This has been a fun project to build. I took my time through the finishing process since I no longer had a deadline. I’m pleased with the way the finish turned out and as I type this, Mary is loading her clothes into the chest. Finish Choices I used shellac on most of the interior surfaces. It’s easy to apply and goes relatively odor free quickly. I applied three co...
Sanding the DrawersI’m at the dreaded sanding stage of this large cabinet project. Watch this video to view some of the tools and methods I use to sand the drawers. The tools pictured in the photo above, from left to right, are the scraping plane blade, card scraper, Veritas sanding block, Fein Multi-Master sander, and the Mirka CEROS sander. The scrapers do a good job of removing excess glue and, when properly sharpened, can leave a surface so smooth that no sanding is needed. The ...
In my opinion this is the best and easiest way to finish pine projects. This isn’t the greatest demonstration but hopefully I was able to show how easy it is to finish pine. The product I am using is Zinzer’s Amber Shellac. I suppose you could get similar results using a shellac compatible tint or dye for brown tones but I have not tried. I have never messed up a project using this method. The video is a little on the long side so I do apologize. I would love to hear any comments,...
Why French polish? For about a third of the projects I do, there is usually one surface that I like to do what I call a “guitar” finish. That is, perfectly flat, clear and shiny. As in, how most guitars are finished. The hunt for chatoyancy . And I have tried every path I could find to achieve that just short of spraying nc lacquer, which I am not going to bother with. The biggest disappointment for me has been water based “lacquer.” Not hard to work with. Used t...
Last weekend I got 2 coats of linseed oil applied to the bottle holder and last night I got 3 coats of shellac applied. Tomorrow I will give it a light sanding and then 2 more coats of shellac. I like this picture because it shows how much color and warmth the oil added to the hickory.
Finishing and finishingI have completed my TV stand and it came out better than I hoped. I learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to make my next piece of interior furniture. FinishingI wish I could say everything went off smoothly but I had a few problems finishing the project. One major problem was splotching, where one area stains dark than another. I also had a hard time learning to fill the wood. I tested about 12-15 different stains and dyes until I came across two of the...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries