It has been a while since I posted anything as a friend reminded me couple days ago. So I thought I would do an update on couple projects I have been working on. On an earlier post I had shown the start of a restoration on a Boulle clock. We had restored the top part, since I have been working on the 2 lower elements. I did not took a lot of picture of the restoration of the middle section But I documented better the restoration of the lower section that was partic...
We were contacted by a client to restore his Boulle cartel clock. Boulle is no fun to restore, it is time consuming and quite a special. For budget reasons we are restoring his piece by stages. The clock is composed of 3 parts and each of them will be restored in 3 sessions. We will start with the top We remove the bronzes The unglued brass pieces are lifted and rubbing is made for the missing brass elements The cavities are full of oxidized glue that nee...
This is a real-time blog, that is I am blogging as I am working on the project. As it is my own design I respectfully request that anyone wishing to copy it waits until I have posted the finished project. I am not showing the pattern, up front, that I’m using for this box. That mystery will unfold as I build it. Suffice to say that1. I have a fully dimensioned drawing, on the wall board, in the workshop which I am working from.2. It will be a shell, EZ Mitre box. Therefore I am goin...
Putting the finish on my Nautilus Shell project today. Jullie helped to design the base for the shell to sit on. Should be able to post pictures of my first Lumberjocks project later this week.
At three o’clock in the morning my brain usually wakes up. It then starts to worry about random things. In an effort to stop this keeping me awake for the rest of the night I generally give it something real to worry about. Like how on Earth do I perform EZ Mitre on a box with only 17mm of contact at each corner. To illustrate The four black corners at the top have joints 17 mm long to the sides. Scary. This seemed to be enough to divert my waking mind. Well it said you’ve ...
When I made the wall hanging, Dance on a Volcano I considered at one point making it into an EZ Mitre box. I liked the pattern so much as it was that it stayed that way. I go past it on the Stairway to Devon, every day and it always makes me think of a box alternative. So I set about designing one, using TurboCAD to 3D model it. I came up with this. My initial thoughts were to make it in solid wood, much like the original using; Sycamore, Pau Amarello, Yew, Padauk, Purpleheart and Ebon...
As I said in the project post…. In 1969 a group call King Crimson recorded an album called Court of the Crimson King. This box is named after the title track. As well as the King himself there are several other characters in the song including; the Purple Piper, the Yellow Jester and the Black Queen. I have been struggling for many years to design a box which features all of these. Michelletwo came up with the inspiration in her Color project post. The slots in this form are ideal...
The soundhole rosette is an aesthetic embellishment that provides an excellent opportunity for the luthier (or newbie like myself) to leave his distinctive impression on the finished instrument. Consequently I spent much time considering the design for the rosette on my first guitar build. Although I’ve significant experience inlaying wood, I’ve never worked with abalone or mother of pearl as is commonly used. In researching materials, I discovered just how pricey abalone and R...
I found figuring out how to make these ornaments quite a fun challenge. (I already posted this video in my projects, but apparently that does not get it onto the LumberJocks Video Page) http://lumberjocks.com/projects/57125#comment-1116565
You ain’t ever gonna keep me down. Lyric spotters please feel free to comment. I left you, last night, as I was hacking at the pattern board with a chisel. No, I’m not mad. I’ve done all the tests. It worked. I repaired the pattern. I re-placed the mask and all looks good. Re-taped the pattern I scored a knife line into the pattern,along the outside edge of the outer tape. In combination with a strip of Polycarbonate, which has a line scored on...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1730 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1755 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries