I’m making a credenza based on a design (“Reflect storage”) by Soren Rose Studio I saw on a website (http://www.finnishdesignshop.fi/huonekalut-kirjahyllyt-reflect-lipasto-p-5098.html). The drawer fronts are like propellers. I have never done anything similar, and lacking any instructions I decided to make them like this. I considered routing instead of table sawing the rough shape, but for some reason felt more comfortable with the saw. Please comment on possible easier ...
For the slide show with more information; http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab178/grosa1/Movie%20LoungeFurniture/?albumview=slideshow
So heres the finished thing. You can see it open in the pictures on the bottom. Better pictures soon to come. The drawers are an important part of my design because of my mother. When I was younger she taught my older brother and myself how to play canasta, and always had two nice decks of cards to play, unfortunately we were not the cleanest while playing and the cards almost always got ruined. Eventually she started to hide the cards. It came to the point where she would burry the c...
So unfortunately I had not taken many pictures during the process of hand planing the curved door as well as cutting the dovetails for the carcass. I wanted the door to be thin, very thin, which ultimately led to many, many problems. I ended up with a final thickness of a bout 1/4 inch. While I was milling the door I did not have the wood move on me much at all, the Avodire I ended up getting was so incredibly stable I could do almost anything to it and it would not warp. The one thing ...
I laid out the wings on 10 1/4” x 4” x 24” pieces of poplar (after replacing the one I’d used earlier by mistake). Here’s a picture of the lower wing outline along with a vertical tail piece outline, showing that they easily fit on one of the work pieces. You can also see the notch that I added to the vertical tail template. I laid out both the top and bottom wings. Since my plan calls for a 3-1/8” width on the wings, I decided to rip the 10 pieces using my table saw rather than cut...
For the horizontal tail pieces, I laid all 5 of them out on a larger 1/4” x 5” by 24” piece of poplar. I did a rough cut using the band saw with the intent of finishing them on my sander. DON’T DO THIS: I cut the 5 vertical pieces the same way, using another 1/4” x 4” by 24” piece, consuming one of the 10 pieces I’d originally purchased. I thought I just needed 10 of the 1/4” x 4” pieces, to get the 2 wings per plane. After I started cutting the vertical tail pieces I guessed that I’...
For a tool cabinet I recently posted here at lumberjocks, 30 Drawer Tool Cabinet to go with Workbench, I made custom drawer pulls. Having had several inquiries about them, I decided to blog my drawer pull process. I tried a few different prototypes trying out size, feel and aesthetics, and settled on the profile shown in the template. During the prototyping I tried several thicknesses of stock. I would have preferred 7/8” over 3/4” but threatening weather forced me to go...
I recently finished working on a cutting algorithm app for the iPad and iPhone called Smart Cutter, and wanted to share the app with every one hoping get some feedback from carpenters and wood workers. Smart Cutter finds the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper with minimum scrap. It employs a state of the art algorithm to generate the maximum number of small pieces cut from a larger sheet of paper, wood, cloth or any other material, with minimum waste. Whether y...
It was enjoyable building the cradle, but there were a few things that caused me some grief and hopefully this will help someone else avoid the same mistakes. I used Peruvian Walnut and thicknessed it to 7/8”.The rockers were made from Tigerwood (Congolo Alves) and were finished at 1 1/4” thick.Length of this cradle was 39”, width was 16”. If you require any other measurements, let me know and I can get them (I know the owner). Here is the PDF from Leigh which...
Finally I can begin to assemble the pieces and get this project finished before she grows up and leaves home… In order to clamp the cradle sides and ends, I had to fashion some “brackets” or cauls to support my clamps which would keep the same angle and stay off of the dovetails while I glued it together. Since there was at least a week between cutting the pieces and assembly (I had burned my left hand in a yard fire and that kept me out of the shop for almost 4 d...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries