Because someone asked… making a cabriole leg, either round or squared isn’t nearly as hard as some think. First: make up your pattern…then draw it on the side and front of your leg stock. then proceed to cut it out ;)If you have a bandsaw, start on one side, leave a little (1/4”) uncut at the bottom of the cuts, so you’ll need to cut in from both ends. cut all of the cuts on this side like this, if there is an area on the “underside” (side a...
I have a General 50-200r model table saw. Lowering the blade is a chore becuase it feels like its binding. I’ve squirt some liquid wrench & WD40 on the worm drive screws & worked it up & down. It’s gotten better but there is still an issue. Wondering if anyone else is having this issue & what’s a good lubricant to use on these gears as well? Also what would be a good cleaner to clean the gears with as well? Thanks all.
Already had some stock for the aprons. Cleared the panel of all the junk…well, most of it. Laid two legs onto the panel. I moved them in about 2” from the ends, and measured the space inbetween them. Added 1” for the 1/2” tenons…. Checked the stash, to see which two boards were at least that long. About…21-1/2” or so. Two were a tad short. Save those two for the ends. Set up the mitrebox to read 85 degrees. Set the bevel square to t...
Happy New Year! I spent the day editing more video and got part 3 of the essential oil rack done. Designing on the fly and making changes as I go. Still more video to edit so stay tuned! View on YouTube
Well, after many months of hiatus from this project, I managed to get back on the horse. Looking at the May 30th time stamp of the last post, I realized that this is right before My convocation (graduation) ceremony at my university – so you can officially feel free to call me Dr. Ovens! This of course led to several months of job hunting, the success of which is still to be determined. In any case, the last update showed the joinery I used to couple the Padauk corner posts with the ...
With the holidays over and the house starting to return to normal I took the time to edit some more video on the essential oil cabinet I made for my son for Christmas. A lot of hand work over a lot of days, and a long time to edit it too. View on YouTube
This is probably one of the most asked questions for those just getting into wood working. Obviously there is no real right answer. My self getting and choosing router bits is a simple enough decision to make. While in some some sense buying a 150 – 172 would over all have cost benefits in overall savings, other ways it would be a huge waste of money because my chances of using all of them would be slim. The best way at least for me when choosing a bit is I ask myself the following ques...
It is with a doubt one of greatest satisfaction of wood working the finished project. For me that is the best part. Okay actually the best part is the process to get to that point. I enjoy the sanding of the wood, whether I am sanding that piece by hand or a palm sander, taking that piece to smooth as possibly can be done, then applying the stain whether i am brushing it on or wiping, though i prefer the wipe on method. Then putting on the shellac usually three coats, then adding another coup...
I have built all of the toys in Wood mag. construction series for my grandson. Last spring while visiting my daughter she wanted to know what toy I was going to build next. I told her none I was through. Somehow concrete pump came up in the conversation. My grandson got told to ask me to build him a pump truck. I told him he needed to talk to santa. His response (typical 4 year old) was santa build plastic toys, grandpa makes them from wood. I came home with a project and no real idea h...
The curled bits of inlay were carefully removed from the table and put aside. Then I used some water and a steam iron to heat the vacant areas and remove the old glue from the plywood base. I also used the same technique to remove the old glue from the removed inlay pieces. Then I used the steam iron again to steam the individual pieces of inlay an pressed them between two pieces of plywood to get them flat again. This worked quite well. Some of the inlay was so bad I had to replace it s...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries