Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
Hi everyone! I’ve been somewhat out of radio contact due to pressing work for my degree and working on a business startup…. Between then (when was the last post?) and now, the entire piece was constructed in Solidworks, had the bugs refined out (mostly avoiding work overcomplication and basic logistics), ripped apart and reconstructed. Very little has changed from the original dimensions and layout. The recipient of the largest changes were the doors in terms of the muntin/mull...
Finally got some pictures taken of the cutting process so here is the promised blog .This is the is the cutter I use ( CMT box joint cutter set ) This is the sliding jig riding on the fence cheek ,glued and screwed together and nice and square to the fence with no play which is very imported.The cutter installed and tilted to 45 DEG. and a insert just for this cutting operation.Notice the pencil mark on the insert which indicates the setting of the fence for the first cut. The indexing...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #3: Leg stretchers, assembly bolts and bottom shelf.
This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon. Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them. While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg. ...
Hello all! Let me begin by saying that this is not an original idea, many have done this before…this is just my attempt of it that I have been tossing around in my head for quite a long time now… I’ve researched online, and I was looking for a way to do this without a forge involved…my friend has one, but I believe that I can shape the knives without losing the temper if I’m careful not to let the metal get too hot. I started with some vintage files/rasps ...
Semi-interactive video. You can chose between my entry for the Challenge Tree and the one my twin-brother made. The Challenge Tree is an initiative of Dominic Bender at “Dominic Woodworks!”: http://www.dominicswoodworks.com/en/ After a few minutes you can click on “channel 1” for Gerrit’s “Woodworker’s meditation altar” or on “channel 2” for his twin-brother’s “Mallet for, and made on a pole lathe”.
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
It has been a while sense I have posted any thing. I hope not to be a stranger. Life is crazy with all the travel and all the other stuff that I do. It seems like I only have time for family and business. Just got back from the symposium. It was their first and it went great! Met lots of new people. I think my favorite moments are when I get to meet people who have been my clients for years and I get to meet them in person for the first time. and of course seeing old friends that I only ge...
Since I began woodworking almost five years ago and slowly building my shop, one of the things that has proven difficult for me to prioritize was buying clamps. We all know the old saying “You can’t have enough clamps”. And while this is true, the projects that I have mostly done didn’t require very many clamps. And the larger projects I did, I just made do with what I had. This bench project has spurred me to start buying parallel clamps, but at $40 + a pop and with s...
I saved the design and building of the handles for last. Mainly, because I had no Idea what I was going to do for a handle. All I knew, was I wanted it to be made from wood. I searched through all my design books, and all over the web looking for inspiration. I finally came across Darrell Peart’s website in the Green and Green Style. Now this desk is not in the Green and Green style but I liked the simplicity of the handles on his pieces and thought they would work well with my desk. As al...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1584 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1609 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries