The curled bits of inlay were carefully removed from the table and put aside. Then I used some water and a steam iron to heat the vacant areas and remove the old glue from the plywood base. I also used the same technique to remove the old glue from the removed inlay pieces. Then I used the steam iron again to steam the individual pieces of inlay an pressed them between two pieces of plywood to get them flat again. This worked quite well. Some of the inlay was so bad I had to replace it s...
Once I had the basic concept sketched out I needed to see the thing in the actual space. The height of the table is important for ease of use, aesthetic proportions, and to provide enough clearance along the sides to reach the chair controls. The angle of the table is important to set the angle of the chairs so they fit in the room. Yes, I actually set the chairs and divined the angle. Also important was the arc of the front of the drawers. So after making many real size 2D drawings I ...
Using an old driver bit I made a counter sink by cutting of the ends and grinding a blunt point on one end, then I filed a flute along the ground edge, I used a cheap bit as its a lot easier to work with and sharpen but a good quality bit may hold a better edge. I found it worked really well with an impact driver a drill driver, high speed low speed, it worked quite well even for large headed screws, dry for yourself to see if you can create one just like mine or even better ! WATCH THE...
Thought I would share pics of the slab flattening machine I am constantly upgrading. Made from 80/20 extrusion, it’s basically a CNC minus the computer and motor drives. While it could be converted, I like to manually run the router, so I have control over the cut. Here’s the basic machine: Slabs are held down via a vacuum table. Super simple design using a shop vac and weatherstripping. The router is held steady on the track with linear bearings and a moun...
Well, first I had to go to the store and buy a bottle of Elmers. Dug out a few “acid” brushes to spread it around. Plan WAS to use wedges to help the clamps….not enough hands for it… that is when the cussing started up.. Spread a bunch of glue onto the dovetails, fought the clamps. Several clamps are a bit too long.. Had to use what I had on hand,,,,got a bit crowded, though.. new use for a sander’s handle? Clamp support. Finally managed to get ...
Part of every workshop success is being organized and having templates on hand to trace and cut out, my shop is no different, for the longest time I kept my templates stuffed in a box, as of lately I have been getting request for shelves, rather than dig out these templates I created the “I SEE IT BOARD” this way a person can see the options that are available, it will be easier for me as well because I will be able to grab what I need and when I am done I can easily put it back ...
Sometimes in woodworking you need a shape that just won’t work because of short grain issues, stock availability, design concerns etc. It comes to a choice of steam bending or bent lamination. When choosing bent lamination there are some concerns to consider. The First consideration is the form you wish to use to use for the glue-up process. I normally hate MDF with a passion, but for this application it works well. I have used cdx and a/c plywood, solid wood, and phenolic plastic t...
A neighbor of mine gave me this table as he is not a woodworker and felt he did not have the skills to refurbish it. So now I have another project. The table has no commercial markings on it so I feel that it was home made some years ago, maybe 50 years ago but I have nothing to base my estimate on. At any rate the table looked interesting enough that I will make an attempt at fixing it up but I am looking for a lot of advice and suggestions from anyone. My first ste...
just sort of a progress report I am making 2 stools for Rittenhouse Needlepoint.one is tots rectilinear walnut. dullthe other is more interestingthey wanted pale or white wood “like pine” and a square cabriole leg. Obviously pine would not do, but I have this nice white beech on hand… I’ll post these under the finished projects when I get them done. If any of you are leary about making a cabriole leg like this, let me tell you, it’s dead simple...
I have used material that had bolts and washers in it. The holes are 1-3/4” and I need to plug these holes. Cutting the exsisting holes with a router or drill bit is easy. How can I cut a plug accurately that is 2-1/2” in diameter and 1/2” thick? I can make the hole smaller (maybe 2-3/8” or 2-1/4”), but I want to cut out the defects around where the bolt holes are. The material is oak and there are about 200 holes to plug. I guess I could turn the plugs,...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries