I was cleaning out my shop not long ago and came across the beginning of a jewelry case I began years ago. It’s been sitting in a corner waiting for me to acknowledge it. The problem is that the joinery was sloppy. It was one of my early attempts at box joints, before I knew about using a backing board. Lots of tear-out. I had also gone cheap for the back and it was ugly 1/4” ply. My first thought was to toss it in the burn pile, but then I took another look and decided to d...
Like many of my fellow lumberjocks I worked on the Guild Build from the Wood Whisperer last month. Unfortunately it is still a work in progress (hey, 2 kids under 3 and a wife have a way of monopolizing your free time); but I thought that I would post some of the pictures and progress I made last month, then finish it off when the final steps were done. For those of you that don’t know, the Guild over at Http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com built Shaker tables last month in an effor to su...
Not much to say here. Got the knob installed, gave the table 2 coats of Watco Danish Oil (Cherry), and I think its pretty much all done. Might give it one more coat over the weekend.
So, as a part of Marc S’ “Woodworkers fighting Cancer” guild build of the shaker table, I decided to treat the project as a skills builder regardless of how the end product turns out. If it gets trashed, then I’ll start again! The drawer called for a half blind dovetail, but we were by no means bound to follow that suggestion. So, here’s my first attempt at half blind dovetails! Not great, but despite the gaps, it was still a tight fit on the first try! I d...
Saturday late afternoon I got the chance to run out and glue up the top to the Shaker Table and let it sit overnight in the clamps. Sunday I got to spend most of the day in the shop and got the bottom and top rails installed, cut the top down to its final size, and began to sand the be-Jesus out of it. Got it down to 220 grit, installed the top (somewhere during the day I also installed the drawer stop in the back), and now, except for the drawer pull, construction is done. This projec...
Got to spend quite a bit of time the shop this weekend and made a bit a progress on both of the pending projects. The Woodworkers Fighting Cancer Table Build Over the weekend I managed to get the aprons for the table cut, and the tennons made. Following the advise of The Wood Whisperer I custome fit each tennon to its respective mortise. Did a dry assembly, and finally got the carcass of the table glued up (in two stages). I will have to do a little “evening” w...
So … among my 3,000 eye problems is intermittent double vision. But … I don’t think that’s the problem, here. I seek the expert counsel of the venerated and revered LumberJocks: IS IT just me …. ?? Tenons are better the second time around!! Incidentally, I occasionally do more than just clean my shop :-) Cheers, All!
Started working on the Mortises for the Shaker Table March Guild Build. Pulled out my drill press that I haven’t used sense June and added a auxiliary table to it so I could put on a fence to keep all my mortises in exactly the same position. This is my first time using Birch and it seems fairly hard to me. Was getting a little smoke drilling my 1/4” holes, maybe the drill press is set to too slow a speed? Anyway got all the legs rough Mortised out. I’ve go...
March is here and by end of the month I hope to have the top of the built-in together and installed, and of course the Woodworkers Fighting Cancer table build (feel free to check it out and maybe make a small donation if you are so inclined). Last weekend I finished jointing and planeing the faces of the Cherry for top of the built-in. All finished it ended up just over 1” thick, so that will make a nice top. I still need to cut and joint the edges and I actually think I’ll e...
Today we resawed some 3’’ wormy soft maple I had extra from my rocking chair project into 1/2’’ drawer sides. The largest was about 12’’ tall were using a MM20 / Driftmaster / Resaw master blade must say what a great combo. We are also re-sawing some 1’’ old growth southern yellow pine to 3/8’’ for the door and drawer fronts, I actually gummed up a blade and had to remove it for cleaning. I did some reading and also remembered we ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1184 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1206 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 299 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 201 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- shipwright - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries