I had to make a segmented ring for a clock im making and decided to try the wedgie sled, i’ll have to say its the simplest thing to make, but its absolutely incredible, Jerry, your a freking genius. On my very first test the pieces came out absolutely perfect. Now I can get the walnut and maple out and make the final ring. Finally got some pics uploaded, I had a piece of adjustable miter bar left over from another project so I cut a shallow dado to lock it in, and (borrowed a 30deg t...
My wife and I visited friends in the Charlotte, NC, area and went to an art gallery in downtown Charlotte.I was blown away when I saw this segmented turning! It has to be 3’ x 3’! Immaculate!!
This tutorial is about the process I use to create a segmented bowl, or about any segmented turning item. After researching many methods and trying many of them, I’ve been able to put together a fairly simple and robust process that uses as few specialty tools or jigs as I could. Where possible I used existing jigs and tools that I already had and others may also have. #1 – Design Once you have the approximate size, shape, and feature designs of the end item to build, the number of ring...
I ask for your comments and suggestions about a opportunity (problem) with a couple similar bowls. Both made from walnut and maple. One about 11 1/2” other 13”. History—have been doing segmented bowls for just over a year with this cracking only on these two. I hope you can see the two joints with the yellow circles. Those joints separated by appx. .0003th of an inch. If held up to a light you could see through. These were made the same way as almost all the bowls I’ve...
Some time back, I made a small, box shaped holder for some of Mimi’s kitchen utensils. Everyone has a few things that won’t fit into the drawer or hang on the wall. Over time, it apparently shrunk- I guess the wood dried out- because nothing seemed to fit. I wanted to try doing another segmented turning, so this project was born. Cap’n Eddie has a video on making a dedicated jig for cutting segments. Using his ideas and borrowing a few from Frank Howarth’s miter ...
I thought I’d share some pictures of some of my older projects. All made in the last 15 years. Scroll Saw Projects: Intarsia roses on wall sconces: I cut jigsaw puzzles for a while. This was one of the larger ones – 1,305 pieces, 24 X 36> A postage stamp cut into 16 pieces: I’ve done some lathe turnings: More of my pens may be seen at http://www.leecoga.com Kitchen update included new doors and drawer fronts with homemade beadboar...
Technically, what I am working on here is a ‘Stave Bowl’ ... a bowl comprised of vertical staves (like a barrel) glued together before turning. This particular bowl will turn out to be about 7 1/2” in diameter and 2 3/4” tall. The bottom and vertical spacers are walnut, and the staves are maple. I used a software package ( WOODTurnerPro … http://woodturnerpro.com ) to calculate the cutting angles and dimensions for the staves and segments. I cut the staves ...
So a few weeks ago I took a course on building segmented pens at my local Woodcraft. The class was very good and we came away with 4 different types; Celtic Knot, Spiderweb, Spiral Staircase, and a small piece of a Herringbone (which I am not sure I will be doing again) The Celtic knot is really the only one that was a complete blank and I decided to give it a try this morning before I started in on the other pens I am planning to turn this afternoon and through the weekend. Unfortunately it ...
I recently posted a project called “Milk Bottle Tops & Scrap Wood”, http://lumberjocks.com/projects/57351 There was some interest in the concept & some of you requested a blog on how they were done.So I thought I should get on with it before I forgot the whole process. LOLThe whole idea started from a need to cut down on all the scrap pieces of wood and composite material lying around in the shed.We all have those bits that we won’t throw out. They will come in ha...
So after watching some videos on segmented bowl construction and turning, I decided to give it a shot while I wait for my cole jaws to arrive in the mail. I actually went to a lumber place and bought a few pieces: some walnut, alder, cherry, and something with the word “african” in it… maybe mahogany, but I’m not 100% sure. And then, after I got home, whinging internally about spending $40 on an amount of wood you could maybe build a desk for a barbie doll out of, ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1808 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 114 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1833 entries
- dbhost - 441 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries