PROBLEM TO SOLVEI’ve been trying to figure out how I was going to do the belly of the dragon. I wanted it to look pretty much like the pattern, but didn’t know how to do the outlining of each belly segment. Shipwright suggested I could use a black mastic. That sounded pretty good, but then remembering that I plan to resaw the completed marquetry into two pieces, I realized that the mastic would probably get hot and make a mess while it was being bandsawed. So it seemed to me th...
CURRENT STATUSI have just about blogged this thing to death and I’m still not finished, but nearly so. WHAT’S NEXT?I still have to do the teeth, and I plan to do something with the tail. It is too drab and it doesn’t go too well with the lower belly. I will have to figure out how to solve both problems. My next and last blog will be the resawing of the project just so you can enjoy the suspense and drama along with me. To get a good resaw I must, as Shipwright has advi...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1187: Doing Something for Myself - "Reaching for the Stars" Tree Topper
As a “professional designer” and a craft person, it seems as if I am always creating things for someone else. Be it the magazine, items to sell, or gifts to others, it has been somewhat of a struggle for me to be able to justify taking some time to make some fun projects that I want to keep for myself. Especially at this time of year. But when I changed over my little “all season” tree to a Christmas theme last week, I noticed that I didn’t have any type of s...
WORK DONE SINCE LAST POSTThe upper and lower belly sections are done (excepting remedial work), the claws have been added together with some other small bits and pieces here and there, The eyebrows are finished except for the yellow to be added, and the walnut outline to the head and lips are in place. The walnut in the head will only be an outline after the final Ash piece is inserted in the middle. The three photos below show the original artwork, the last update and where we are now. ...
TODAYS WORKThe yellow was added to the whiskers, eyebrows and legs. I still have some yellow to do on some of the toes.The tongue is also inserted, but not quite finished. The top photo is from my last blog for comparison with the today’s photo at the bottom so you can get a feel for whats been done. There is still a lot of work to go, so if the picture looks a little strange in places that is probably why. WHAT’S NEXT?The obvious things are the eyes, mouth, muzzle, teeth, ...
I was hoping to get a lot done today, but I was called on to provide transport. That is one of my two main functions. The other is heavy lifting. My wife takes care of all the intellectual stuff, like thinking and such. TODAYS WORKI got the lower large flame done and I filled in the with African blackwood on the jagged part behind the lower leg. I am not done with this area yet, as I plan to cut some out of the black area to put some yellow into it. I haven’t done any other black pa...
I spent most of yesterday working on the Lilly, but didn’t quite finish it up. I did not want to update the blog until the Lilly was as finished as it could be. I spent a little time this morning finishing up the Lilly and than moved right into making the bird itself. I am going to make another blog post this evening on the birds progress as soon as I am done with this one. I used some different woods to finish up the Lilly. The leaves in back are Maple, the stem is Bubinga and the s...
BONUS POINTS at the end! Well I finally had success with making the stem, and now things are moving along a little quicker. I guess the third time is the charm! If you’ve been following this blog you’ll know that making the wrap around stem has been my nemesis on this project, and it took me 3 tries to get it the way I wanted it to be. The below pictures are the completed stem (minus some more sanding). This next one shows the result that I needed for the wrap around st...
Well since I have nothing but time on my hand (HAHA), I took a trip down to Woodcraft to look at scroll saws. The only one that they had there was a DeWalt. For $489 and some change I could own this and it comes with a stand and light for free. Well since I am just looking I wanted to see if anyone else has any tips on buying any certain brand or if anyone owns one I like to hear about it.
I’ve been working for about two weeks off and on now on this project and I was so engrossed with that I didn’t even remember to post my regular blog updates. Oops. So this is a big catch-up post…. It all started with my desire to practice skills. I had a pile of scrap laying around and one afternoon it hit me (the design, not the scrap). Here’s the design: As you can see, it’s just a simple box. But I wanted to work on my joining skills, I wanted to u...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1730 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1755 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries