TODAYS DRAMATIC EPISODEI started out the day in the shop full of optimism. The first thing I did was to tape a of piece poster board paper to the back of my main workpiece. Then I started cutting out from the pattern, which in this case is the original dragon picture. After cutting out as many nonadjacent parts as I could, I removed the poster board pattern from the workpiece to be used as pattern to trace the cutouts on to the infill pieces. Here’s a picture after the cutouts are done...
Task at hand: Make a top for this cover using thin Luan. I thought finger joints would work to keep it sturdy, and to not require cleats on the inside. BTW, this is a cover for my CNC controller so looks is not a priority to me on this one. The top is cut to fit, but just barely oversized: Place the top under the carcase, keeping track of mating edges: Slide the carcase back: Then tilt it up so the mating edges are aligned. I used double sided tape to secure it: Take it to the...
Well, thanks for the great welcome. Found this forum searching for solutions to some issues as I started upgrading the shop, and thought it would be a good source of information and camaraderie. I checked out some of the threads, such as “You know you’re LumberJock if/when…”. That made me wonder…would I fit in. Am I … er, ah …. crazy enough, you know…obsessed? Then realizing that yesterday I dumped a whole quart ($15) of Watco into the bottomless pit of MDF that is my new radial arm tab...
CURRENT STATUSI have just about blogged this thing to death and I’m still not finished, but nearly so. WHAT’S NEXT?I still have to do the teeth, and I plan to do something with the tail. It is too drab and it doesn’t go too well with the lower belly. I will have to figure out how to solve both problems. My next and last blog will be the resawing of the project just so you can enjoy the suspense and drama along with me. To get a good resaw I must, as Shipwright has advi...
TODAYS WORKThe yellow was added to the whiskers, eyebrows and legs. I still have some yellow to do on some of the toes.The tongue is also inserted, but not quite finished. The top photo is from my last blog for comparison with the today’s photo at the bottom so you can get a feel for whats been done. There is still a lot of work to go, so if the picture looks a little strange in places that is probably why. WHAT’S NEXT?The obvious things are the eyes, mouth, muzzle, teeth, ...
PROBLEM TO SOLVEI’ve been trying to figure out how I was going to do the belly of the dragon. I wanted it to look pretty much like the pattern, but didn’t know how to do the outlining of each belly segment. Shipwright suggested I could use a black mastic. That sounded pretty good, but then remembering that I plan to resaw the completed marquetry into two pieces, I realized that the mastic would probably get hot and make a mess while it was being bandsawed. So it seemed to me th...
WORK DONE SINCE LAST POSTThe upper and lower belly sections are done (excepting remedial work), the claws have been added together with some other small bits and pieces here and there, The eyebrows are finished except for the yellow to be added, and the walnut outline to the head and lips are in place. The walnut in the head will only be an outline after the final Ash piece is inserted in the middle. The three photos below show the original artwork, the last update and where we are now. ...
I was hoping to get a lot done today, but I was called on to provide transport. That is one of my two main functions. The other is heavy lifting. My wife takes care of all the intellectual stuff, like thinking and such. TODAYS WORKI got the lower large flame done and I filled in the with African blackwood on the jagged part behind the lower leg. I am not done with this area yet, as I plan to cut some out of the black area to put some yellow into it. I haven’t done any other black pa...
I just completed a set of two video’s to help out the newbies to scroll sawing. The video series includes a printable “Cutting Guide” that can be used for practice cutting and covers most of the different types of cuts that will be performed on a scroll saw. Part 1 goes over the basics of pattern application, wood preparation and some insight on how to drill straight holes as well as preventing tear out during the drilling process. I recommend that everyone watch the part on preventing tea...
As I posted, about a week ago, I was having problems with the lower clamp holding the blade (like plain end #2) on my Poter Cable Scrollsaw. After some discussion with Poter Cable they are sending me a whole new lower clamp assembly. However it is the same as the one I have and my fear is that it will not address the issue. You see the real problem is that the thumb screw is under the table and you need to reach around the left side to tighten the screw while holding the blade through the hol...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 368 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries