Task at hand: Make a top for this cover using thin Luan. I thought finger joints would work to keep it sturdy, and to not require cleats on the inside. BTW, this is a cover for my CNC controller so looks is not a priority to me on this one. The top is cut to fit, but just barely oversized: Place the top under the carcase, keeping track of mating edges: Slide the carcase back: Then tilt it up so the mating edges are aligned. I used double sided tape to secure it: Take it to the...
BONUS POINTS at the end! Well I finally had success with making the stem, and now things are moving along a little quicker. I guess the third time is the charm! If you’ve been following this blog you’ll know that making the wrap around stem has been my nemesis on this project, and it took me 3 tries to get it the way I wanted it to be. The below pictures are the completed stem (minus some more sanding). This next one shows the result that I needed for the wrap around st...
When things turn bad, it seems to snowball! In my last post I was saying how happy I was that everything was going so well (Yes I know that post was a while ago at this point, sorry bout that), and it was, until I tried to lay the Lilly out to match the flower to the stem. It simply would not work because the stem was not thick enough. The problem is, I was so concerned about wrapping the stem around the back, I never considered how high it would need to be on the front. Whoops! I intend to l...
I spent most of yesterday working on the Lilly, but didn’t quite finish it up. I did not want to update the blog until the Lilly was as finished as it could be. I spent a little time this morning finishing up the Lilly and than moved right into making the bird itself. I am going to make another blog post this evening on the birds progress as soon as I am done with this one. I used some different woods to finish up the Lilly. The leaves in back are Maple, the stem is Bubinga and the s...
I was able to get some of the Lilly done today. Wood’s I finally decided on are White Poplar, Red Cedar and Bubinga for the stem. I’m not sure how much time I will have to work on it today, but I should be able to get a little more done. I have another order I need to work on and get that out today, so the Hummer might take a bit of a back seat today. This is a short update, there just isn’t much more to say that the picture already does. BobTripleBScroll Saw Forum
Unfortunately, the last week or so, it’s been very difficult for me to get into the shop to work on the hummingbird. But now I should be able to get back at it, the only set back now is when the Wenge wood I ordered gets here. I will not be able to finish the hummer with out it, but I can work around it until it arrives. The Wenge is only on the bird, so I will work on the Lilly flowers in the mean time. I was able to get the bottom leaves done and partial frame together yesterday. I...
The following link is a video that I posted on YouiTube. The project is an easy quick gift for far away friends. Hope you try this and enjoy the project. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufuxQyU6oKs
Well after the past few hectic weeks of trying to get stuff finished up for the craft fair I took the time to I had this week to just have some fun and play with a few things in my shop. My weekend started with a bit of furniture assembly and disassembly, though not pieces made by me. The wife and I went furniture shopping last weekend to look for a new recliner for her and just to see what else we could find. Well we wound up buying 3 items. A recliner, a desk chair for me that was on clear...
Since I was asked by a TON of people over the last few months how I go about creating a scroll saw pattern from a picture I am going to attempt to share with you all just how I go about doing so. First of all, I am using Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1. I was able to get a great deal on the software (student pricing) and that is what I use for 95% of my graphic’s work. The techniques I use can pretty easily be duplicated using other graphics programs, some of them extremely inexpensive or even fre...
Not a ton to write about this evening, it has been quite a long week at work and I will show why later on in the week. Since I also worked on Saturday I only got a little bit of shop time last night and today. Having received my blade holders and a manual (many kudos to Dremel customer service) for my scroll saw this week, I decided I should take some time to sit down and do some more practice. First though I had to come up with a way attach the saw to my workbench. Here is what I cam...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries