Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'scrollsaw'

  • Advertise with us
View stefang's profile

Slow But Steady Progress and Learning

01-26-2013 07:51 PM by stefang | 10 comments »

ADVENTURE SUMMARYAgainst all good sense and the normal practice of creating marquetry with a wide range of different ultra thin wood veneers, I am attempting to do marquetry with thicker materials, about 3/8” thick. My reason for doing this is because right now I don’t like the idea of working with those paper thin veneers and I’m not too keen on making packets to get a lot of copies. This in no way means that I do not appreciate, respect and admire ‘proper’ marq...

Read this entry »

View Dan's profile

Wooden Watch (Semi-tutorial)

01-25-2013 11:18 PM by Dan | 9 comments »

So after making my wooden bracelets, I decided I wanted to use the same method to make a watch. Due to the materials I had at hand, I ended up using a different method to make the watch than I did the bracelets. 1. Draw up a pattern. (I used CORELDraw to design mine) 2. Select Material – I went with 1/4” thick red oak flatstock. 3. Trace or use spray adhesive to attach pattern to blanks. 4. Drill link holes (I clamped mine between 2 1/2” pieces to make easier to...

Read this entry »

View stefang's profile

Progress Update

01-22-2013 06:37 PM by stefang | 15 comments »

I was hoping to get a lot done today, but I was called on to provide transport. That is one of my two main functions. The other is heavy lifting. My wife takes care of all the intellectual stuff, like thinking and such. TODAYS WORKI got the lower large flame done and I filled in the with African blackwood on the jagged part behind the lower leg. I am not done with this area yet, as I plan to cut some out of the black area to put some yellow into it. I haven’t done any other black pa...

Read this entry »

View stefang's profile


01-21-2013 08:21 PM by stefang | 14 comments »

TODAYS DRAMATIC EPISODEI started out the day in the shop full of optimism. The first thing I did was to tape a of piece poster board paper to the back of my main workpiece. Then I started cutting out from the pattern, which in this case is the original dragon picture. After cutting out as many nonadjacent parts as I could, I removed the poster board pattern from the workpiece to be used as pattern to trace the cutouts on to the infill pieces. Here’s a picture after the cutouts are done...

Read this entry »

View stefang's profile

Tried Something New Today

01-18-2013 06:26 PM by stefang | 11 comments »

PROBLEM TO SOLVEI’ve been trying to figure out how I was going to do the belly of the dragon. I wanted it to look pretty much like the pattern, but didn’t know how to do the outlining of each belly segment. Shipwright suggested I could use a black mastic. That sounded pretty good, but then remembering that I plan to resaw the completed marquetry into two pieces, I realized that the mastic would probably get hot and make a mess while it was being bandsawed. So it seemed to me th...

Read this entry »

View RaggedKerf's profile

Practice box.

12-06-2012 03:06 AM by RaggedKerf | 4 comments »

I’ve been working for about two weeks off and on now on this project and I was so engrossed with that I didn’t even remember to post my regular blog updates. Oops. So this is a big catch-up post…. It all started with my desire to practice skills. I had a pile of scrap laying around and one afternoon it hit me (the design, not the scrap). Here’s the design: As you can see, it’s just a simple box. But I wanted to work on my joining skills, I wanted to u...

Read this entry »

View CalumetWoodworks's profile

Noah's Ark #5: Finished!

11-13-2012 03:16 AM by CalumetWoodworks | 1 comment »

Finished this project. You can see more pictures in my projects gallery. Here are some I didn’t upload over there.

Read this entry »

View rance's profile

Arbitrary Scrollsaw Finger joints

10-14-2012 07:32 PM by rance | 8 comments »

Task at hand: Make a top for this cover using thin Luan. I thought finger joints would work to keep it sturdy, and to not require cleats on the inside. BTW, this is a cover for my CNC controller so looks is not a priority to me on this one. The top is cut to fit, but just barely oversized: Place the top under the carcase, keeping track of mating edges: Slide the carcase back: Then tilt it up so the mating edges are aligned. I used double sided tape to secure it: Take it to the...

Read this entry »

View TripleB's profile

Intarsia #15: Lilly Cross Day 4

10-03-2012 12:45 AM by TripleB | 5 comments »

BONUS POINTS at the end! Well I finally had success with making the stem, and now things are moving along a little quicker. I guess the third time is the charm! If you’ve been following this blog you’ll know that making the wrap around stem has been my nemesis on this project, and it took me 3 tries to get it the way I wanted it to be. The below pictures are the completed stem (minus some more sanding). This next one shows the result that I needed for the wrap around st...

Read this entry »

View TripleB's profile

Intarsia #14: Lilly Cross Day 3

09-27-2012 01:41 AM by TripleB | 0 comments »

When things turn bad, it seems to snowball! In my last post I was saying how happy I was that everything was going so well (Yes I know that post was a while ago at this point, sorry bout that), and it was, until I tried to lay the Lilly out to match the flower to the stem. It simply would not work because the stem was not thick enough. The problem is, I was so concerned about wrapping the stem around the back, I never considered how high it would need to be on the front. Whoops! I intend to l...

Read this entry »

« prev 1 2 3 4 next »
38 entries

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics