CURRENT STATUSI have just about blogged this thing to death and I’m still not finished, but nearly so. WHAT’S NEXT?I still have to do the teeth, and I plan to do something with the tail. It is too drab and it doesn’t go too well with the lower belly. I will have to figure out how to solve both problems. My next and last blog will be the resawing of the project just so you can enjoy the suspense and drama along with me. To get a good resaw I must, as Shipwright has advi...
WORK DONE SINCE LAST POSTThe upper and lower belly sections are done (excepting remedial work), the claws have been added together with some other small bits and pieces here and there, The eyebrows are finished except for the yellow to be added, and the walnut outline to the head and lips are in place. The walnut in the head will only be an outline after the final Ash piece is inserted in the middle. The three photos below show the original artwork, the last update and where we are now. ...
WHAT I DID TODAYI managed to get more of the black filled in. Some of the fingers, the whiskers and a few other African Blackwood infills. I also put in the middle leg with Ash. The whole project looked so grubby from glue residue and smudges that I finally cleaned it up a little. It isn’t easy because many of the infill pieces are slightly proud of the background. I have been whittling these down with sharp chisels a little everyday. My intention is to handplane it when everything i...
TODAYS WORKThe yellow was added to the whiskers, eyebrows and legs. I still have some yellow to do on some of the toes.The tongue is also inserted, but not quite finished. The top photo is from my last blog for comparison with the today’s photo at the bottom so you can get a feel for whats been done. There is still a lot of work to go, so if the picture looks a little strange in places that is probably why. WHAT’S NEXT?The obvious things are the eyes, mouth, muzzle, teeth, ...
I was hoping to get a lot done today, but I was called on to provide transport. That is one of my two main functions. The other is heavy lifting. My wife takes care of all the intellectual stuff, like thinking and such. TODAYS WORKI got the lower large flame done and I filled in the with African blackwood on the jagged part behind the lower leg. I am not done with this area yet, as I plan to cut some out of the black area to put some yellow into it. I haven’t done any other black pa...
TODAYS DRAMATIC EPISODEI started out the day in the shop full of optimism. The first thing I did was to tape a of piece poster board paper to the back of my main workpiece. Then I started cutting out from the pattern, which in this case is the original dragon picture. After cutting out as many nonadjacent parts as I could, I removed the poster board pattern from the workpiece to be used as pattern to trace the cutouts on to the infill pieces. Here’s a picture after the cutouts are done...
Well, thanks for the great welcome. Found this forum searching for solutions to some issues as I started upgrading the shop, and thought it would be a good source of information and camaraderie. I checked out some of the threads, such as “You know you’re LumberJock if/when…”. That made me wonder…would I fit in. Am I … er, ah …. crazy enough, you know…obsessed? Then realizing that yesterday I dumped a whole quart ($15) of Watco into the bottomless pit of MDF that is my new radial arm tab...
“If you are not willing to be bad at something, you will never be good at anything” – Me That is what I tell my sons when they express outrage at the lack of instant gratification when setting down to try and learn the guitar or try something in sports. Life isn’t a video game and it takes a little time to develop any skill. Something I need to remind myself from time to time. This project hit a couple snags. I completed the top portion of the top - But I ...
PROBLEM TO SOLVEI’ve been trying to figure out how I was going to do the belly of the dragon. I wanted it to look pretty much like the pattern, but didn’t know how to do the outlining of each belly segment. Shipwright suggested I could use a black mastic. That sounded pretty good, but then remembering that I plan to resaw the completed marquetry into two pieces, I realized that the mastic would probably get hot and make a mess while it was being bandsawed. So it seemed to me th...
ADVENTURE SUMMARYAgainst all good sense and the normal practice of creating marquetry with a wide range of different ultra thin wood veneers, I am attempting to do marquetry with thicker materials, about 3/8” thick. My reason for doing this is because right now I don’t like the idea of working with those paper thin veneers and I’m not too keen on making packets to get a lot of copies. This in no way means that I do not appreciate, respect and admire ‘proper’ marq...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries