I’ve been looking at a lot of other folks Intarsia projects here on Lumberjocks, and finally decided to bite the bullet, and try one of these myself. I am using a Judy Gale Roberts pattern, I-96, which is a mother horse and her colt, grazing in a field.I like the pattern, and hope I can give it the really nice finished look, like others have.I am at the sanding stage right now, taking each piece, and trying to round all the edges.What a sanding task! I have got to figure out a faste...
CURRENT STATUSI have just about blogged this thing to death and I’m still not finished, but nearly so. WHAT’S NEXT?I still have to do the teeth, and I plan to do something with the tail. It is too drab and it doesn’t go too well with the lower belly. I will have to figure out how to solve both problems. My next and last blog will be the resawing of the project just so you can enjoy the suspense and drama along with me. To get a good resaw I must, as Shipwright has advi...
Had a discussion with a friend today about easy ways to align your scroll saw blade to the table. Surprisingly, It was a lot more difficult to explain than I thought it would be, so I figured I’d just make a quick video and show the process instead. This process is nothing new, but I’m sure there are a few out there that might not know how to do it this way so I wanted to show you as well, just in case! BobScroll Saw Forum
TODAYS WORKThe yellow was added to the whiskers, eyebrows and legs. I still have some yellow to do on some of the toes.The tongue is also inserted, but not quite finished. The top photo is from my last blog for comparison with the today’s photo at the bottom so you can get a feel for whats been done. There is still a lot of work to go, so if the picture looks a little strange in places that is probably why. WHAT’S NEXT?The obvious things are the eyes, mouth, muzzle, teeth, ...
WORK DONE SINCE LAST POSTThe upper and lower belly sections are done (excepting remedial work), the claws have been added together with some other small bits and pieces here and there, The eyebrows are finished except for the yellow to be added, and the walnut outline to the head and lips are in place. The walnut in the head will only be an outline after the final Ash piece is inserted in the middle. The three photos below show the original artwork, the last update and where we are now. ...
WHAT I DID TODAYI managed to get more of the black filled in. Some of the fingers, the whiskers and a few other African Blackwood infills. I also put in the middle leg with Ash. The whole project looked so grubby from glue residue and smudges that I finally cleaned it up a little. It isn’t easy because many of the infill pieces are slightly proud of the background. I have been whittling these down with sharp chisels a little everyday. My intention is to handplane it when everything i...
ADVENTURE SUMMARYAgainst all good sense and the normal practice of creating marquetry with a wide range of different ultra thin wood veneers, I am attempting to do marquetry with thicker materials, about 3/8” thick. My reason for doing this is because right now I don’t like the idea of working with those paper thin veneers and I’m not too keen on making packets to get a lot of copies. This in no way means that I do not appreciate, respect and admire ‘proper’ marq...
So after making my wooden bracelets, I decided I wanted to use the same method to make a watch. Due to the materials I had at hand, I ended up using a different method to make the watch than I did the bracelets. 1. Draw up a pattern. (I used CORELDraw to design mine) 2. Select Material – I went with 1/4” thick red oak flatstock. 3. Trace or use spray adhesive to attach pattern to blanks. 4. Drill link holes (I clamped mine between 2 1/2” pieces to make easier to...
I was hoping to get a lot done today, but I was called on to provide transport. That is one of my two main functions. The other is heavy lifting. My wife takes care of all the intellectual stuff, like thinking and such. TODAYS WORKI got the lower large flame done and I filled in the with African blackwood on the jagged part behind the lower leg. I am not done with this area yet, as I plan to cut some out of the black area to put some yellow into it. I haven’t done any other black pa...
TODAYS DRAMATIC EPISODEI started out the day in the shop full of optimism. The first thing I did was to tape a of piece poster board paper to the back of my main workpiece. Then I started cutting out from the pattern, which in this case is the original dragon picture. After cutting out as many nonadjacent parts as I could, I removed the poster board pattern from the workpiece to be used as pattern to trace the cutouts on to the infill pieces. Here’s a picture after the cutouts are done...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1043 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1065 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 213 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 198 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries