I don’t know what I might use this hammer for, but I felt like making it. The head is made from a piece of plumbing that I replaced in our bathroom. The face pieces are screw on fitting from my box of ‘future’ clamp parts. The handle is a turned spindle from some piece of furniture. The voids in the head were filled with epoxy wood. I lightly sanded the handle to remove some of the finish and swabbed on some boiled linseed oil. The head was cleaned up with a belt sander ...
View on YouTube This was my first woodworking project and my first channel video. I decided to make a shovel with some leftovers of wood I had laying around my garage, its useful at the end of the day when the floor gets covered on flakes and dust.
I’ve seen a few things telling of how to clean out the teeth of a file. One old-timey way, the source of which I cannot find was to hammer the end of a large nail flat and run that over the file groove-wise. The teeth of the file will cut the nail into a sort of rake which will force out any aluminum or other soft metal bits, even sawdust! This video says pretty much the same thing: View on YouTube So I don’t yet own a file card brush, but I had a few old keys to a pad...
Since I recently went to the trouble to put handles on my collection of chisels, I decided to also make them more accessible. They used to be kept inside the cabinet shown. The smaller ones were in a lazy Susan that I inherited from my dad, while the longer ones just sat in a pile on a shelf. I made these racks out of scrap wood and mounted them on the outside of the door of the cabinet. While I was at it, I took my rack of ‘good’ chisels* and mounted it on the outside on th...
Since I found out how not difficult it is to put a handle on a file, I decided to have a file handle making party today. I put handles on the rest of my needle files that will go in my lutherie kit. They were made from those wooden handles of those disposable foam brushes. The ferrules are cut pieces of small diameter copper pipe. The handles of the larger files are made from various short spindles that I’ve saved over the years. One of the nice things about using the spindle...
This is a device that lifts the strings off of the bridge of a musical instrument so that the bridge can be removed during the fitting/adjustment process. I think i first saw one of these in a video on YouTube. After looking it up, I decided it was definitely something I could make. It’s basically a thick bridge, this one is for a 3/4 cello, which has a top piece which lifts with the assistance of a screw. The top piece runs on guides. The commercial products run in slides on the si...
If this looks like a screwdriver with the business end cut off, you’re not far off. One of the luthiers I watched used just that to push the little maple plugs/wedges in to secure the hair in the bow. I decided to make mine from scratch anyway. The handle is a scrap piece of mahogany this time with a ferrule attached. The push stick is a piece of rod from an old pendaflex folder frame. I just made sure I slightly rounded the business end and smoothed it so that it wouldn’...
This tool is made from the business end of one of those nut picks that come with nut cracking sets. In a video about bow re-hairing I saw the technician using a tool like this to push the abalone slide back over the hair on the frog end of the bow. I sad to myself ‘I can make one of those!’ After cutting the nut pick in two, I mounted it in a scrap piece of white oak and strengthened it witrh a ferrule. Even so, I learned that the hole you drill to accept the tool ne...
Call this a pick or a bodkin. It is chiefly used to nudge out the maple ‘wedges’ that hold the horse hair in at either end of a bow. I made mine from half of one of those nut picks that come with nut cracker sets. After cutting the nut pick in two, I chucked it in my electric drill (corded) and sharpened it on my belt grinder till it gained a nice long point. Then I mounted it in a scrap piece of white oak with a copper ferrule. The handle was finished with boiled linseed oi...
Even though this is technically a chisel, it is used principally as a scraper to get hardened glue out of the small wells in a violin bow where the ends of the hair hank are anchored. I fashioned the blade of this chisel from the Phillips screw driver ‘blade’ of an old, low quality pocket knife. It was not a genuine Swiss Army knife, but a bad, cheap knockoff. The blades loosened up after a few years and the knife lived in my tool box for ‘just in case’. I general...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries