Using my previously made SketchUp model I made a full sizes printed template using the following steps: 1. Setting up a Parallel view: The default view in SketchUp is “Perspective” which allows us to view things in 3D which looks ‘real’ due to the perspective view but for printing we want to be able to see the drawings in 2-D as if they were printed on a flat paper (which is what we about to do). In order to do this you need to go to the menus under “Camera...
Have you missed me? Sorry for leaving you hanging for so long, but work was a bit manic leading up to Christmas. Now where was I? Oh yeah, I was just about to sharpen the last of my crosscut backsaws, a 12” carcase saw made by W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner. I restored this saw in part 1 of this blog series. It had a number of issues and honestly, it still has a few of them. 1) The plate was heavily pitted in places.2) The plate had a wave in it. 3) The spine was bent.4) ...
Hi guys- I promised I would post pictures of my latest project- a 1950s era Craftsman Table Saw… Sorry for the bad pic quality- these were taken with my cell phone. I’ll have better pictures taken when it is fully assembled and in working order…All torn apart- whoever stored it was smart and poured motor oil over the whole thingThe base alone weighs about 25 poundsHalfway assembled and all polished upTable top after 3 coats of Butchers Paste WaxMade a plate insert out of Ash...
Since my last muse of writing a blog, a lot has happened in my life and business. All of it has been good, I’ve just been so busy that I have not taken the time to write much. For instance, I went to North Carolina last June to teach a woodworking class at the John Campbell Folk School. I had a wonderful time away with the family, met some great guys, and had a wonderful time…...but have not taken time to document the adventure with the photos and stories I gathered while the...
I was out strolling the yard sales looking for an old Stanley handplane to restore but instead I came across two old Disston handsaws for $10 each. I personally don’t have many antique tools but have been thinking about starting a little collection lately so I picked them both up and took them home. When I got home I went on to the disstonian institutes website and found the saws I had just purchased. The first saw is a D8 that I dated between 1896-1917. It has the handle with the th...
In part 12 we left our intrepid sawster (Is that a word? It is now.) feeling very sorry for himself. If you haven’t read part 12, you should read that first as this is a continuation of that post. Anyhow, you can’t keep a hand tool junkie down and suitably chastised by the saw gods, I picked myself up and worked the problem. I found out that I’d mistakenly thought the problem was what is known as ‘Cows and Calves’. However that is when the bottom of the gullet...
With the horse finished (literally as in 2 coats of shellac) the only thing missing was 2 handles for the ride. as it seems the horses ears were a good alternative and worked well, but proper round handles would probably be more comfortable for younger ones and well, I have the mounting holes for them already so better put them to good use. My original idea was to use mahogany for the handles as I have a left over of mahogany that was my workbench wagon vise handle that was transformed int...
I was out with the wife, hitting up local garage sales, when we stopped at a condo community whose residents are mostly retired. They had Tupperware, pots, pans, and assorted nicknacks. I wandered around there small garage and didn’t see anything I was interested in. I turned to head out and venture onto the next garage when I bumped my knee on something. It was a hand saw with a 50 Cent sticker on it. I did not hesitate, I grabbed it up and handed it to my wife as she headed toward...
This is a Warranted Superior 26” 4 tpi Rip. All are basic restores. Soak in evapo-rust. Wire-brush, sand and polish. All handles were sanded down to 500 grit and given a few coats of BLO. I have sharpened to 2 back saws. The rip saw will get sharpened once I get a few new files. This saw has some minor pitting on the blade. I cleaned it up and wire brushed it. I decided not to sand any further. The character is fine for my shop. I have a few more to do, so I made a soak...
THE FINALE Repairing the Lamb’s TongueSo in my last post I’d fixed the large chip below the bottom saw nut. Now it was time to fix the chip on the lambs tongue. I started by paring the chipped surface flat with a chisel, then I ripped a section from an off-cut of beech dowel. Before gluing it onto the handle, I slid a hotel card key into the kerf where the saw plate goes. This served two purposes. Firstly, it ensured that I didn’t get excess squeeze out in the kerf whic...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1563 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1588 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries