Shop’s Log: May 5 2014 Having been working on some saw cleanups, modifcations, restorations and refurbs, I was finally ready to tackle a project that has been sitting in the saw till for over a year. Last March, I picked up an 8 inch Disston at an antique shop for a very reasonable amount. I thought at the time all it was going to need was cleaned up and sharpened, but alas, it was not to be. When cleaning up the plate, I found a 1/2in long crack at the toothline. I ha...
Began work on the upper doors of the Wall Hung towards the end of Episode 19 by creating a bead detail on the right door while telling you of a rebate needed at the left door. No pics cutting the rabbet, but the center stiles come together just fine. All four stiles for the upper doors were cut to rough length and grooved for floating panels ‘too long ago’ to remember… The rail boards were measured and marked for their rough cuts; those are the pieces t...
Last year I had the opportunity to drive from Missouri to California to visit my 92 year old Grandmother. It’s always great to see her and visit the house that she and my Grandfather lived in my whole life. About 15 years ago my Grandfather passed away, and left behind a collection of unique tools in his garage that he had amassed over his lifetime. It was on this visit, last year, that I found an old saw hanging in a locker in the garage. I had no knowledge of hand saws at the time, bu...
A new and interesting way to buy and sell woodworking plans has just come to the woodworking world. Its called Saw Tooth Ideas and it is a website where woodworkers can buy plans for projects or sell plans they made. Read more about it here: http://www.newenglandswoodworking.com/saw-tooth-ideas/
power… give me more power… I’ve had this cordless dewalt set for several years, and in the last year It has been stored most of the time. I have 3 18v batteries that would rotate between the tools, so I would always have a fresh battery to swap with… until recently – all 3 batteries died, don’t hold a charge – and in the last week won’t even charge at all … AAARRRGGGGHHH…. so now I have a collection (9) of pretty yellow tools t...
I accidentally spent the whole day in the garage assembling the new Ridgid saw. So here are my impressions: Tolerances were pretty decent but there is a distinct bow in the steel extensions. I opted to keep them as level with the cast iron as possible but on the outer edge of the extensions they dip as much as 1/32nd of an inch. Not likely to be a huge issue, but one to note. The cast iron itself is pretty much dead flat but getting the insert to sit flat wasn’t fully possible. I su...
Top and bottom of the cabinet have been defined, but not the space for the jack planes and tambor door. Because there a plenty of pics of the dado process, here’s what the defined spaces look like in dry-fit mode. And the plane partition has been shaped to match similar pieces in the inspiration piece. The interior of door’d section then got some attention, again driven by something I saw (and posted) a couple of weeks ago. This shot of the interior of a craftsman-ma...
With the horse finished (literally as in 2 coats of shellac) the only thing missing was 2 handles for the ride. as it seems the horses ears were a good alternative and worked well, but proper round handles would probably be more comfortable for younger ones and well, I have the mounting holes for them already so better put them to good use. My original idea was to use mahogany for the handles as I have a left over of mahogany that was my workbench wagon vise handle that was transformed int...
2012 is a big year for Britain. Not only are we hosting the Olympics, but we’re also celebrating the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the throne. It’s Her Majesty’s diamond jubilee. Even my wife is organizing a street party for around 200 residents and I’ve been roped into building all kinds of weird and wonderful things for the day. Yes folks, marquees will be erected, brass bands will strike up, flags will be waved and I’m sure we’ll all feel very patriotic by the end o...
Yesterday I cut the side verticals of both the left and right cabinets. I then matched them up as to what sides I wanted for the inside and outside of each cabinet and routed 1/4×3/8 rabbits on each piece for the backs. Then I cut all of the dividers and shelves to width and length. Since I am making some alterations to the plans to accommodate my antique doors I wanted to see how things were going to look. These cabinets are too narrow to use a double door and too wide for jus...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries