Next up on my epic backsaw journey is a much younger saw (60s, 70s? – not sure exactly). It’s a W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner filed 10 TPI crosscut and sports an extra heavy brass back. I bought this saw because it was cheap and there was nothing wrong with the saw plate. Gone is the subtle stamp that appeared on the brass back of a 19th century Tyzack saw. Instead, this spine has a rather garish impression. The crisp elephant logo now looks like a partially thawed out woolly mam...
Hi once again friends hope this Monday has been treating you well. I thought it might be time to add my third installment of my latest blog and project “Making a saw handle” and I hope you have all enjoyed this mini-series as much as I have in building and posting the progress. As I have gone on with this build some mistakes were made. I expected greater miscues than I got keeping in mind this is only a first full out attempt at making, fitting and using a handsaw handle…...
Hey friends, thank you for taking the time to read part one of this blog series, I hope you may enjoy the second installment of this series as well. This process has been as I expected more of a challenge in Maple…lol. But I realized it provided me the chance to have a stronger handle and learn more about how to work with this particular species. My entire working process has in many ways changed in the last few weeks. For one thing I now find it more focusing to stop after a new ...
Hey friends, hope all is well. Thought I would post the latest shop endeavour….making a new handle design with this maple stock! Not sure if everyone caught the final to the last handle project so here is the link for that: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/64100 My objective for the first project was to stay conservative while still taking some chances. As I finished the project I was very happy with the outcome and still honest with myself about what I can improve on in the future...
A few more photo’s in the handle re-modelling saga. A bit more ‘Fettling and Fiddling’, re-shaping the lamb’s tongue- A bit more filing and sanding Wetting the surface with water to raise the grain- When dry more fine sanding and out with the Danish Oil Now all I need is to sort the sawplate out! Before Photo- The original scruffy handlle… ...and after
Hi folksI recently acquired a cheap 14” Brass Backed Tenon Saw off eBay. A non descript saw marked Thos. Bloor, Leicester. The handle was comfortable enough, but I thought why not do a ‘Brit job’ on it?So out came the thick black permanent marker. ( not the best idea with hindsight) and on with the design details. I basically wanted it to look more traditional, with the vintage details. (see Brits Saw Talk blog) like the one I already have. Some of the ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1581 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1606 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 197 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries