Finally got the plans for the Toys & Joys Excavator.I had the plans for the Wood Stores Excavator but just wanted to try my hand at building some tracks.Before I started this project I’ve checked out a bunch of other builds on this site and man there’s some OUT STANDING work going on around here!!! I’m going to be using walnut and sassafras.I wanted the sassafras for the root beer smell but it just stinks! LOLSassafras looks a lot like oak but with more figure. T...
Here is a pictorial progress of where I am currently at in an outdoor bench build.
I was a very fortunate woodworker this week to receive correspondence from a special friend. Of course it is MADS! Mads for the few who may be unaware of his positive presence on lumberjocks is a fantastic woodworker, designer, and all around spiritual character. Basically he makes the entire experience of sharing on Lumberjocks all the more interesting and fun. As I opened the envelope there before me was a wonderful letter full of good things. A handmade Origami Crane…wow, I lov...
The greatest expression of any art is the freedom of too many rules, regulations, or minds closed to new ideas. I continue on this journey of woodenware or treenware with extended spirited expectations. My additional study on the matter finds me in a revival of enthusiasm and fascination in the complexity of what reveals simple pleasures with trusted methods and tools. There is something so honest of this work in a modern world that can be so packed with bull pippy and boring commercial...
Hey everyone, well I guess I was just plain not paying attention when posting my last blog explaining my rustic sassafras hiking stick and cherry spoon work. I totally forgot to add some pics in of these…lol. These would greatly add to the experience of my past Saturdays wood working session. So here they are! Pic 1: Some new fresh cherry ready for some spoon making! Pic 2: Roughed out blank ready for greater detail. Finished project can be found here: http://lumberjocks...
Autumn sails its way into late September as I was joyfully surprised at some random pieces my Father cut down in our woods that sat in front of the shop. He found a wonderful twisted piece of Sassafras that just begged to be honed into a hiking stick! I took the hatchet to certain areas and relieved some bark and sapwood where I thought best and with a little hewing and shaving I had a very rustic and different looking hiking stick for new paths on cooler days. The finished piece was just ...
Rushing home from work, rushing through dinner, rushing all the kids to my parents house, and my wife going to a friends house for a ladies night…..the stage was set…. I entered my shop about 8:00, knowing with a 4:00am wake uu that my time was limited. I started on the cherry I had started Friday, but it popped out of the 1/2 chuck that was holding it….guess that wont work after all. :-S. I took my little electric chainsaw and trimmed up a piece of the sassafras. Th...
This morning after dropping my oldest off at school, I decided to get ankle deep in shavings. Still no project in mind, but I was able to get my favorite 3/8 spindle, 1/8 spindle, 1/2 bowl, and hollowing tool tuned up. I actually did try to make a natural edge goblet , but the wood had too many checks and it shattered on the lathe. I went out to my stock pile that has been seasoning for 2 years…. As it turns out, 2 years was too long for much of the assortment of logs and branches. I...
Worked for the past couple of days on the dresser. I have it to the point where it is almost ready for finish. Need to do some sanding and final tidying up. Dovetail drawers, sassafras pulls – decided on two pulls and an ash top. I used ash for the drawers planed down to 1/2” and white oak scraps for the drawer slides. I used a Rockler dovetail jig to do the joinery on the drawers. Next time, I think I will do half blind dovetails directly to the face of the drawer. These d...
Made some more progress on the dresser last night. Installed the hardwood drawer slides, back and base. I was concerned about the base having 45 degree miters, as I have never really had too much success with miters. The front base is a three piece base. Since I was concerned about the miters being accurate, I wanted to have the flexibility of creating the middle run separate. This worked out OK, but not as well as I wanted it to. Some sanding will help alleviate noticeable cracks and ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries